Continuing our series of interviews with the entrants of Malta Eurovision Song Contest, today we bring you our nice chat with Daniel Testa. Daniel has represented his home country in Junior Eurovision in 2008 with “Junior Swing”, where he came fourth. He took part in the Maltese Eurovision national final last year for the very first time, and his song “One Last Ride” finished third! Now he’s giving it another go with “Something In The Way”, a song written by Mans Ek and Charlie Mason.
We had a nice little chat with Daniel about his song, about his views on the Eurovision Song Contest and Junior Eurovision, as well as his own personal favourites. Check out everything he told us in the following interview:
- Hi Daniel! First of all congratulations for making it to the top 20! How do you feel?
I feel very proud to have made it to the top 20 again. It is a big achievement for me.
- How did you decide to enter the Contest this year?
I’ve always loved Eurovision. In fact, I had represented Malta in Junior Eurovision 2008 with ’Junior Swing’. After that I was just waiting to be old enough to apply for Eurovision, which is why I entered with ’One Last Ride’ last year. After the great result of placing 3rd in the final, I couldn’t not have another go.
- How did you get in contact with the composers of your song?
My Manager/Publisher (CAP SOUNDS) received several songs for me. We then chose the best one being “Something In The Way” by Charlie Mason and Mans EK. At the time, not knowing that Charlie Mason was one of the co- writers for “Rise Like A Phoenix”.
- Can you tell us a little bit about your song?
It is about this ’strange’ girl who acts differently in her own way. An example of this being wearing sunglasses at night. All this is what makes me notice her. That is why it’s Something In The Way…
- How are you preparing yourself for the national final?
By rehearsing a lot! And a lot! And getting everything to look as close to perfect as possible.
- Have you already had some thought about how your performance will be on stage?
Yes everything is settled, now ready to perform what we have planned.
- Who do you think is your biggest competition to win this national final?
The nuns! Being unique, they can surprise everyone.
- Malta is hosting Junior Eurovision only a week before the national final. Are you planning to attend this event?
Yes, of course!
- What does Eurovision mean to you?
Eurovision in Malta is definitely the biggest platform that us artists have. If it had to stop being organised, we wouldn’t really have that much to look forward to in my opinion. Therefore, it is very important to me!
- Are you a Eurovision fan, and have you got an all time favourite Eurovision song?
Yes I am quite the Eurovision fan. All time favourite would undoubtedly be Loreen – “Euphoria”
- Do you have a message for all the readers of escbubble?
Hey bubblers… Hope you like my song! 🙂
- Thank you so much for taking your time out for this interview, and we wish you the best of luck in the Maltese national selection!
Give a listen to the snippet of “Something In The Way”, presented in the TV programme Xarabank on the Maltese national television: