Lawrence Gray is no stranger to Malta Eurovision Song Contest, as he took part various times in the past, and finished second twice. He is giving it another go this year with a beautiful ballad “The One That You Love”, written by Elton Zarb and Lawrence Gray himself.
We had a nice chat with Lawrence about his participation in Malta Eurovision Song Contest, his entry, as well as his views on Eurovision and Junior Eurovision, and his personal favourites. Check out everything Lawrence told us in the interview below:
- Hi Lawrence! First of all, congratulations for making it to the top 20! How do you feel?
Thank you ever so much! Saying that I’m feeling great is not enough, fantastic not even, over the Moon with joy – that is more like it, cause I have been waiting for this for two long years. Now I’m so happy and honoured that I am in the top 20, and I’m prepared and ready for a great show.
- How did you decide to enter the Contest this year?
To be completely honest with you, I wasn’t gonna go for it this year, because of other commitments. Then I was having dinner with a dear friend of mine who spoke to me about a famous Maltese composer Elton Zarb, saying that he wanted to work on a music project with me. Then we met at his house, he made me listen to a beautiful piece of music that I loved on the spot. I started working on the lyrics immediately, and together we decided to give it a try, and here we are in the final 20.
- Can you tell us a little bit about your song?
All I can say is that our song named “The One That You Love” speaks about nothing but the ultimate true love story, a story that sooner or later everyone has to face.
- How are you preparing yourself for the national final?
All I can say is that I’m gonna go all out this year. The reason is that I completely believe in our song, and I truly believe that our song “The One That You Love” can be a pure winner, so I’m doing what is needed for everything to be 100% on that fantastic stage.
- Who do you think is going to be your biggest competition to win this national final?
Whoever is going to sing his or her heart out like I always do in my every performance is going to be my biggest competition, if you know what I mean.
- Malta is hosting Junior Eurovision only a week before the national final. Are you planning to attend this event?
Of course, yes! I’m gonna be there at Junior Eurovision, and I’m going to give all my support to our beautiful and talented Federica. I’m sure she’ll do well and make us proud to be Maltese. Also, the best of luck to all the other talented singers, God bless them.
- What does Eurovision mean to you?
The Eurovision Song Contest means a lot to me. I have great memories of it by nearly making it twice to go and represent my beloved country Malta, in 1999 and 2003 with the songs “The Right Time” and “Why Not”. Maybe now I’ll get my awaited cans this year, who knows.
- Are you a Eurovision fan, and have you got an all time favourite Eurovision song?
Yes, I’m a very big Eurovision fan, and for sure my all time favourite song is of the great Mr. Johnny Logan, “Hold Me Now”. Such an amazing song that is still famous even today!
- Do you have a message for all the readers of escbubble?
First of all, thank you ever so much for this interview, and my message for the ESCBubble readers is this: Do always what ever makes you happy, and love as much as you can, because that is the meaning of life – to be happy, to love and to be loved. I send you all a big warm hug. God bless.
- Thank you so much for taking your time out for this interview, and we wish you the best of luck in the Maltese national selection!
Give a listen to Lawrence’s entry in Malta Eurovision Song Contest – “The One That You Love”: