Lena Zatkoska is definitely no stranger when it comes to the music scene in Macedonia and abroad. Over the years, the 23-year-old mum originally from Melbourne, Australia, has taken part in many music festivals across Macedonia, and also took part in X Factor Serbia 2013. This year, for the first time, Lena will participate in Skopje Fest in hopes to get a ticket to go to Vienna next May. Skopje Fest 2014 is the Macedonian National Final for Eurovision Song Contest 2015, which will be held on the 12th of November in the Metropolis Arena in Skopje. Check out everything Lena revealed to us in the following interview:
- Hello Lena! Congratulations for making it to the top 20 for Skopje Fest 2014! What made you decide to submit a song for the Festival?
Skopje Fest is one of the oldest song festivals in Macedonia. I love the fact that all the songs are sung live and that a live orchestra will be used. I take part in all Macedonian song competitions and have been a competitor many times, although this will be my first appearance at Skopje Fest.
- Can you tell us a bit about your song “Alo”?
“Alo” is something new for me, most of my songs are ballads and are technically harder songs. “Alo” is a fun, silly song about a girl and her partner, who is always ringing and calling her because he misses her. The main message of the song is “Relax a little and give me some space”. It’s an upbeat funk-style song that was fun to both, write and record.
- How are you preparing yourself for the Macedonian national selection for Eurovision?
The same as for every other performance… I PRACTISE! No matter how easy or hard a song is, the more you practise something, the better it gets. I also like to be prepared in time, so I’ve already managed my wardrobe and know exactly what I’ll be wearing, as well as what my make-up and hairstyle will be. All that’s left is to practise the choreography with the dancers and practise my song. 🙂
- In your opinion, who is your biggest contender at Skopje Fest?
I have no contenders – we’re all friends. I’m entering the competition simply because of my love of singing and performing.
- What is your favourite Eurovision song?
I’ve been watching Eurovision since the age of 4! Even though, I lived in Australia, my whole life I would wake up at 3 am just to watch the contest live. There are many songs that I adore, but I can’t really pick just one out. Favourite entrants would include Celine Dion and ABBA, but I honestly can’t favour any of the songs.
- What do you think in which language should Macedonian entrants sing at Eurovision?
I think, because it’s Eurovision, all contestants should sing in there own language, and maybe a part of the song in English, just so people will understand the message of the song.
- You have previously participated in Makfest as well as in X Factor. How have those performances influenced you and your career?
Every performance is a new experience that leaves a mark in one’s life and brings new knowledge. My biggest achievement so far was singing at the Sydney Opera House, but I love and enjoy every single performance that I’ve ever had.
- Do you have a message for all your fans on ESCbubble?
Thank you for your support, and never give up! Life is hard and things happen, but no matter how hard it is or how down you are, you are your only hero! Be strong and do what your heart desires, but above all, NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
- Thank you so much for taking your time out for this interview, and we wish you the best of luck in the Macedonian national selection!
Give a listen to Lena’s performance on X Factor Serbia, where she sang “I will always love you” by Whitney Houston: