The ESCBubble team had the unique opportunity to interview this year’s Montenegrin Junior Eurovision Song Contest entrants, Masa Vujadinovic and Lejla Vulic. The two girls told us bits about themselves and their preparations for the Song Contest in Malta next month. See what they had to say in the interview:
- Hello Masa and Lejla, and congratulations for being the first entrants for Montenegro in Junior Eurovision! Which one of you had the idea to go to this Contest?
To be honest, the idea came from our team of authors, composer Slaven Knezovic and songwriter Sanja Peric, whose task was to select the artists. They chose us since we worked together in the past, and we are very greatful for that.
- Has it always been your wish to participate in Junior Eurovision?
Masa: Eurovision is something that always appealed to me. Ever since I can remember, I followed the Euorvision Song Contest and secretly wished one day to perform on the Eurovision stage. When you genuinely want something, it will eventually happen to you. 🙂
Lejla: Wonderful songs, amazing stage… Who wouldn’t want to be a part of the Eurovision spectacle?! I often imagined myself to perform in Eurovision, and that dream is finally coming true.
- What are your hobbies and what do you do when you are not singing?
Masa and Lejla: Schoolwork comes first, then everything else.
Masa: Besides school, music is my Number One! And when I am not singing, I love to take walks in our capital, Podgorica, with my friends or watch a good movie.
Lejla: I love writing songs! Sometimes a verse suddenly pops to mind and then I make a note of it. I also love sports! I play handball, but I have to admit that I’m infatuated with water-skiing.
- Since your song is called “Be a Kid for a Day”, what’s a typical day in your life?
Masa and Lejla: Ordinary, just like in any other kid’s life. School, hanging around the house, doing homework, meeting up with friends and singing, playing and listening to lots of music. 🙂
- Who is your favourite artist and if you had a chance to sing with a big name artist, who would it be and why?
Masa: My favourite singer is Beyoncé, she is my idol! A truly complete artist – who sings, dances, acts. I would love to record a duet with her! I also like Lana Del Rey, Rihanna, Bruno Mars… And, of course, Michael Jackson.
Lejla: That’s a tough question, but I’d have to say Rihanna, Jessie J, Demi Lovato, Katy Perry, Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus… And, I would love to sing with all of them, but if I had to choose, it would be Jessie J or Rihanna.
- How was the video clip shooting?
Masa and Lejla: It was exciting, but also overwhelming. We were shooting the video clip for two days, and in it, you can see how much and on how many different locations we were shooting. The thing we remember the most from the shoot was our producer’s, Drasko Djurovic’s words: That was good! Now, let’s do one more take! » Sigh «
- What do your friends think now that you are representing Montenegro in the JESC?
Masa and Lejla: At school, everyone is excited. Both our friends and our teachers. They all know how important this contest is and what a big and serious task we have in representing our country.
- What are you most looking forward to in Malta?
Masa and Lejla: We look forward to meeting new friends, to be part of such a large music event, and, of course, representing Montenegro.
- What do you expect from this contest?
Masa and Lejla: We expect to present ourselves in the best possible way. The rest all depends on the taste of the audiances and the jury. Our song conveys a message to all grown-ups in Europe to be a child for at least a day, to relax and enjoy life, to forget their worries and problems, and to be happy and carry a big grin on their faces.
- Thank you for the interview and congratulations on Montenegro’s first ever participation in the JESC and to you for being the country’s first entrants. Good luck in Malta!
Give a listen to the entry of Masa and Lejla, “Budi dijete na jedan dan”: