Lis (Denis Lis) is one of the 15 lucky finalists of the Belarusian national selection, Eurofest. He is no stranger to Eurovision, as he was there with Teo this year in Copenhagen, as one of his backing singers. He is now trying to represent his home country in our (and his) favourite Contest, as a soloist.
We had a great pleasure to chat with Lis about his song “Angel”, and ask him about his experience in Copenhagen. Check out everything he told us in the interview below:
- Hi Lis! Thank you very much for taking your time out to speak to us! Can you tell us a little bit for the start?
Hi! I’m Denis Lis, a vocal coach and a singer basically having a long relationship with Eurovision. Last year I performed in Copenhagen as Teo’s backing singer, and I was also a backing vocalist for Dima Koldun and Gunesh at our national finals.
- How did you decide to enter Eurofest this year?
The performance in Copenhagen was really addictive to me! I’ve decided that I do want to come back and to try it this time already as a solo-participant.
- How did you get in contact with the composers of your song, “Angel”?
I’ve written music myself and then one really good person I know – Jevgēnijs Obručevskis has introduced me to Dmitriy Minin to help me with lyrics. The song was afterwards produced by Andrey Kharchenko (the guy behind Serebro’s “Song #1” and Julia Savicheva’s “Believe me”) and Dima Koldun.
- Can you tell us a little bit about your song?
The song is about complexity of fate, about patience and pain that love can bring sometimes.
- How are you preparing yourself for Eurofest?
Preparations take a lot of time at the moment, as we work with backing singers and a couple of dancers on our performance.
- Can you tell us how your stage performance is going to be on the night?
It’s not completely clear yet, we’re still developing the concept but anyway, we’re not going to make any grand special effects. Currently we’re choosing the right clothes and trying to find proper images to reflect the sad and soulful atmosphere of the song.
- Have you heard the other 14 songs, and do you have a favourite one?
I’ve checked out the other finalists, and I think this is a really strong line-up. Fight for a ticket to Vienna will be tough!
- What would representing Belarus in Eurovision mean to you?
Oh, that would mean a lot to me. New horizons and the chance to reach out to many hearts. I think I write about things, emotions which should be close to, and understood by many people. That would also mean getting into a wonderful atmosphere of Eurovision and making new connections with interesting and talented people.
- Which one is your all time favourite Eurovision song?
My biggest Eurovision favourite is Loreen’s “Euphoria”.
- Do you have a message for all your fans, and for all the readers of ESCBubble?
Never give up guys, even when you think you’ve lost the goal. We’re losing so much during our lives but gaining a lot as well. The main thing is to find a positive side in everything and then you’ll be fine. Just believe in yourself!
- Thank you very much Lis, and we wish you all the best in Eurofest!
Thank you too and best of luck!
Give a listen to Lis’ entry in Eurofest – “Angel”: