Just try to fly… That’s the main chorus line of Licia Chery’s song “Fly,” which she will perform tomorrow at Die Entscheidungsshow 2015, the Swiss national final for the Eurovision Song Contest. This 29-year-old Geneva-based artist has had a long way to get to the stage where she’s now. She composed and recorded her first album at the age of 17, but it wasn’t until 5 years ago, when radio stations started playing her songs. Licia has been working yet on another album which is scheduled to be released this coming spring.
Licia Chery has been chosen by the French-language broadcaster RTS as one of the six acts, which will compete for a ticket to this year’s Eurovision Song Contest in Vienna. She will be performing 3rd in the show, which will be broadcast on SRF1 commencing at 20:10 CET.
Just in time before the big event, we had an interview with Licia, so find out what she had to say!
- Hi Licia! Thank you for taking your time out for talking to us. First of all, what made you decide to sign up for Swiss national final?
Life sometimes leads you where you weren’t expecting to go. Somebody suggested it, and I said: “Why not?”
- How are you preparing yourself for the show?
I am working hard everyday with my backup singers and we’re doing our best to rock the show on Saturday! 🙂
- Why have you chosen to perform your song in English and not in French?
Because I always write my songs in English as all my inspiration comes from those who where singing blues and soul!
- What do you think of the concept of the Swiss national final?
I think it’s great. I can’t wait to show my entire nation what I have prepared for them…
- In your opinion, who is your biggest contender?
I think we’re all in the same position. I’m competing with myself and nobody else.
- What would it mean to you to win the Swiss national final?
First of all, it would mean that my country trusts me and believes in what I do. This is priceless! Secondly, I could finally show the world that there is a lot of talent in Switzerland and I hope that through me, it will wake up their curiosity to check upon even other, very talented Swiss artists.
- Which is your favourite Eurovision song?
I have to say the song “Fly” by Licia Chery! It’s amazing! Don’t you know it?! 🙂 hahaha
- Thank you Licia, and we wish you the best of luck tomorrow in Die Entscheidungsshow 2015!
To keep up with the latest news on Licia, you can follow her official Facebook page, and definitely have a listen to her song “Fly” – a very catchy tune!