Lara Lee is one of the 12 finalists of this year’s Romanian Selectia Nationala. She will try to win the Eurovision ticket with the song “Superman”, written by Machopsycho, Milica Fajgelj, Tami Rodriguez, and Nicole Rodriguez. It is not Lara’s first time that she is trying to represent her country in Eurovision, as she was one of the finalists of the national selection three years ago as well.
We had a great pleasure to chat with Lara regarding her participation in the Romanian national final once again, as well as her career, and her views on Eurovision. Check out everything she told us right here:
- Hi Lara! Thank you for taking your time out for talking to us. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself for the start?
Hey, guys! Yeah, let’s start from the bottom: Lara Lee is a new name on the Romanian music market, not so known. People from Romania know me by my real name – Larisa Ciortan, former member of the group T&L. Togheter we reached 4th place in the first season of X Factor Romania, mentored by famous Paula Seling. I also have experience regarding Eurovision. In 2012 I tried my luck with T&L, our song Twilight got the 6th place in the National Selection.
- Can you tell us a little bit about “Superman”?
Sure! The song Superman is about a guy who keeps leaving a girl in love with him. She needs him to save her from uncertain emotions, and even when he comes back to her, he might leave again. This is actually something real and I’m pretty sure we all had moments in life when we just need someone to be here for us, to make us feel safe. During the day we can leave emotions on the side but the night is our enemy when you sit down with yourself and you have no place to run from your feelings.
- You have a big international team behind your song. How did you all come together, and how did this co-operation work?
Everything started on Facebook, in the last week when it was aloud to apply for Eurovision. A friend recommanded me to the producers of Macho Records and they contacted me. From that point everything went smooth…I heard Superman, I liked it and I went immediately to the studio to record it. It seems it was the best choice of song, considering that I had to choose between 17-18 songs. Since Superman got us the ticket for SN, we keep in touch day and night and we make all the decisions together.
- How did you decide to enter Selectia Nationala?
I was not planning to apply this year for Eurovision. But I got a great offer that I couldn’t reject. So here I am!!
- How are you preparing yourself for the national final?
First of all it’s a lot of work and preparation. Each day I’m putting all myself into it to give a great performance on 8th of March for Selectia Nationala in Craiova. I’m trying to keep my calm as much as possible, not to get too excited, because I need to be in a good state of mind.
- Can you tell us more about your stage performance?
It’s going to be a full packed performance, with professional backing vocals from Sweden and one of the best dance groups in and outside Romania, Stan Boyz- the dancers of Inna and Alexandra Stan.
- Have you had a chance to listen to the other competing songs, and who do you think will be your biggest competition to win?
I’m trying to focus on my own song. I am my biggest rival because I wanna prove to myself that I can become better and better, I wanna overcome my posibilities and show to Romanians that I can make them proud.
- If you had a chance to record a duet with any of the 11 other participants, who would that one be, and why?
All the other participants are talented in their own way and it would be quite difficult to choose one.
- What would representing Romania in Eurovision mean to you?
Eurovision is one of my biggest dreams and representing my country is a big honour. I would do my best to be a great ambassador and to bring home honourable results.
- Are you a Eurovision fan? Have you also got a favourite Eurovision song?
Of course! This is not the first time I get this question …but I always have the same answer. Every year I had favourite songs, but if I have to choose one, it would be “Day after Day”, sung by Elnur & Samir in 2008 (Azerbaijan).
- What sort of music do you like to listen to in your free time?
I grew up listening to good music, from rock, legendar bands like Queen,Scorpions, to R&B, funk,rap, even gospel – Stevie Wonder, Mary J. Blige, Eminem, Yolanda Adams, Sia, Jessie J, Bruno Mars etc. Actually it’s a bit difficult because I like listening to all kind of music and I will always find something interesting in a song.
- Thank you very much for your time Lara, and we wish you all the best in Selectia Nationala!
Give a listen to Lara’s “Superman” right here: