Meet Midnight Boy – participant in Melodifestivalen 2015
This Saturday we will watch the fourth semi final of Melodifestivalen 2015. One of the seven acts who will perfrom on February 28th in Örebro is Midnight Boy with his 80’s tune “Don’t Say No”. You could hear his two singles “Roll With It” and “When You’re Strange” released in 2013.
On Thursday we will listen to 30-seconds snippets of all the songs from the fourth semi final. Learn a bit more about Midnight Boy’s entry in Melodifestivalen and himself.
- Hi Midnight Boy! Thank you very much for taking your time out to speak to us. First of all, tell us how did you feel when you found out your song has made it to Melodifestivalen this year?
I was surprised but very flattered. I know it’s a great opportunity for me and I decided right away I wanted to do something special.
- Can you tell us a bit about your song, “Don’t Say No”?
It’s a Midnight Boy song for sure, always with a lot of 80’s elegance. This is more up-tempo than my two previous babies though.
- What would representing Sweden in Eurovision mean to you?
That would be the coolest thing ever.
- How are you preparing yourself for your semi final?
I’m rehearsing in my living room every night. The balcony window reflects my silhouette and it looks pretty cool.
- Can you tell us a bit more about the staging of the song?
Top of the Pops á la 1984 and that’s it!
- Who is the biggest contender you could think of from this year’s Melodifestivalen?
I think many of the débutantes are real interesting this year. Kristin Amparo is one of my favorites.
- Do you have any favourites from the past editions of Melodifestivalen?
Loreen and Ace Wilder I’d say.
- On a lighter note: what kind of music do you like to listen to? Who or what is your inspiration?
I’m mainly influenced by The Doors, Madonna, Depeche Mode and Prince but I also get a lot of inspiration from the early 80’s New Wave era.
- Tell us a bit more about your journey in the musical industry. What is your “musical world” like?
Since I’m a songwriter and producer I spend a lot of time in the studio. Right now I’m also trying to find cool stuff to wear. Ebay is the best but it’s huge, you need to know what you’re looking for. Overall it’s a lot of hard work but also a lot of fun. Working with music is the only thing I can imagine myself doing.
- I can’t help mentioning your controversial video for the song “When You’re Strange” ☺. Tell us more about this video and how were you filming it.
The idea came to me as I wrote the lyrics for the song. It’s about challenging the normative society and being true to yourself. We filmed it in only one take ’cause we wanted it to be realistic. It’s kind of funny it’s called controversial only because of the nakedness since being naked is such a natural thing and something everybody can relate to.
- Have you got any other artist you would recommend to our readers?
Right now I’m very into Lana Del Ray. I’m totally stunned by her expression and love the way she combines music with visuals.
- Many people around the world will be reading this. What would you tell them about your country so to encourage them to visit it? Can you recommend us some interesting places, which are out of the traditional tourists track?
A friend of mine just got a job in a candy store in LA where they only sell Swedish traditional candy to really expensive prices. It seems to be a lucrative business over there. So, don’t miss out on the candy while you’re here! The “Marabou Salta Mandlar” chocolate cake is my personal favourite. Very tasty!
- Melodifestivalen is also known for the wild parties after the semifinal and final: what’s your party trick?
I hear this from everybody so I’m really looking forward to find out! I’m sorry to say but I have no party tricks to brag about. Me and parties though, it seems we never wanna go separate ways and I’m usually the last man standing. On the 28th I’m gonna be too!
- Thank you very much, and we wish you the best of luck in Melodifestivalen!
Give a listen to Midnight Boy’s first single “Roll With It”.