Meet Ovidiu Anton – finalist of Selectia Nationala in Romania!
Ovidiu Anton is back in Selectia Nationala after a three years’ break! His entry “I Walk Alone” in 2012 finished 5th, and he is trying to win the Romanian Eurovision ticket this year with a song titled “Still Alive”.
We had great pleasure to chat with Ovidiu regarding his participation in tonight’s Selectia Nationala, and he was telling us about his entry, his team, as well as his views on the Eurovision Song Contest. Check out all of that right here:
- Hi Ovidiu! Thank you very much for taking your time out for talking to us! For the start, can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
Hi, I am rocking through life , its been 25 years since my first win at a youth Bucharest Songing Contest and I am not about to stop 🙂 In the late 90’s I started Carpe Diem rock band that unfortunately didn’t make it due to the rough years for rock music here in Romania, the band quietly stoped performing in 2002 after concerts in Romania and Germany. 2005 was a good year, I won the TV Talent Show – Stars’ School, under the great Tv producer Titus Munteanu. He was my mentor and I am very sad he is no longer with us. The same year I represented Romania at the Golden Stage. Since 2005 till today the music industry’s incapability to support new Rock bands or singers pushed me into the private segment, singing covers and in 2008 I joined Pasager Cover Band for some wild ride in LIve Music Clubs.
- You already took part in Selectia Nationala various times, the last one being three years ago. How was your experience in this Contest?
My first National Selection for Eurovision was with a song written by Dan Bourosu – Running Out Of Time in 2010. In 2012 and 2013 I made it again to the finals this time with my own songs – “I walk alone” and “Run Away With Me Tonight”. “I Walk Alone” was the song that most members of the jury mentioned me for as the best singing performance back then… I didn’t win but still felt good.
- Can you tell us more about your song, what is it about?
This year’s song, “Still Alive” is about the strength to get up and carry on despite all the things against you, it’s about finding the power to follow your dreams, to fight till the end for what you believe in, and I know that everyone can find themselves in these lyrics.
- You have an international team behind your song. How did you get in contact with them?
I want to thank Ylva and Linda Persson, together with Peter Hageras as they did a really good job. I really feel connected to this song, I changed the lyrics a bit to fit my personality and brought my personal touch, they were all very open minded to all my preferences, and I am thankful that they trusted me with their song.
- The final is on tonight. How were you getting ready for it?
We prepared a nice show with backing vocals, some costumes and also a beautiful surprise, I want to thank the Romanian part of my team also: Irina Caramizaru, Miryam, Alin Trocan, Ramsis and my manager, Sorin Radulescu for the work and soul that they put into this project.
- What would representing Romania in Eurovision mean to you?
It would be a great pleasure to represent my country in Austria, and if the Jury and the Public will give me their votes they can be sure that I will do my best to make them proud and to let all the world know that Romania is “Still Alive”!
- If you had a chance to record a duet with any of the other 11 participants in Selectia Nationala, who would that one be, and why?
If I were to sing a song with someone from this year’s final I think I would make a killer song together with Tudor Turcu for all Rock loving Ladies and Gentlemen out there 🙂
- Are you a Eurovision fan, and have you got an all time favourite Eurovision song?
Eurovision is special, it’s like another dimension , no boundaries, no rules ..except for the 3 minutes once you try for it you cant stop. I really liked Wig Wam – “In My Dreams”
- What type of music do you personally like to listen to?
Nowadays I usually listen to Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple DIO, Whitesnake, Queensryche, Holograf, Cargo, I like Classic rock to Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, I also get my share of Pop Rock also, anything that has Rock in its description with a bad ass lead vocal would do.
- Do you have a message for all the readers of ESCBubble who will watch Selectia Nationala, and support you?
Hope you like my new single, Still Alive, I really enjoy singing it and if it makes you feel Alive its all that matters to me!
- Thank you very much for your time, and we wish you all the best in Selectia Nationala!
To keep up with the latest news on Ovidiu, make sure you like his official Facebook page. If Ovidiu is your favourite in Selectia Nationala, you can still cast your vote for him in our poll here (click), and also give a listen to his entry “Still Alive” right here: