Tonight, in the Oslo Spektrum, Norway chose its representative for the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest in Lisbon. The ten acts battling it out across three rounds of voting to be the Norwegian entry were:
- Stella & Alexandra – “You Got Me”
- Aleksander Walmann – “Talk to the Hand”
- Ida Maria – ‘Scandilove”
- NICOLINE – “Light Me Up”
- Tom Hugo – “I Like I Like I Like”
- Charla K – “Stop the Music”
- Alejandro Fuentes – “Tengo Otra”
- Vidar Villa – “Moren din”
- Rebecca – “Who We Are”
- Alexander Rybak – “That’s How You Write a Song”
The winner of Melodi Grand Prix was decided by the following method:
FIRST ROUND: Four songs advanced. An international jury consisting of ten countries and a total of 50 people first cast their votes, which counted for 50 percent. The score for these votes were added together with the TV viewers’ SMS votes, which also counted for 50 percent.
The four songs advancing were:
- Alexander Rybak – “That’s How You Write a Song” (133,164 votes)
- Rebecca – “Who We Are” (46,260 votes)
- Stella & Alexandra – “You Got Me” (29,784 votes)
- Aleksander Walmann – “Talk to the Hand” (7,927 votes)
SECOND ROUND: When the four highest-performing artists were chosen, the votes were reset. At this time only the Norwegian SMS votes were now counted to pick two ‘gold’ finalists.
The two gold finalists were:
- Alexander Rybak – “That’s How You Write a Song” (306,393 votes)
- Rebecca – “Who We Are” (123,504 votes)
GOLD FINAL: The two finalists carried forward their votes from the second round, with viewers still having the opportunity to vote for their favourite with the two finalists performing again.
Following the Gold Final the winner of MGP and going to Lisbon in May is Alexander Rybak with ‘That’s How You Write A Song’
Do I really need to tell you about Alexander Rybak? Well he was born in Minsk, Belarus and is 31 years old. He won Eurovision in 2009 with the runaway entry ‘Fairytale’ scoring a massive 387 points. This will be second try at Eurovision. Watch the winning performance here:
Norway will perform in the first half of the second Semi Final in the Altice Arena on May 10th.
Do you think Alexander will qualify for the Grand Final? Let us know your thoughts below: