The Israeli National Eurovision Broadcaster and last year’s host, KAN 11, has announced details of its Eurovision selection for Rotterdam 2020.
The details of this year’s format, according to Israeli news site Ynet, are as follows:
- The show will be titled ‘Hashiyr HaBa L’Eurovision’ (The Next Song for Eurovision’) and will air on Tuesday 3rd March.
- Four songs will be sung by the winner of the HaKokhav HaBa L’Eurovision’ (‘The Next Star for Eurovision’). The final of this will take place on Tuesday 4th February.
- The shortlisted songs will be released for public consumption on 27th February.
- The winning song on 3rd March will be chosen by combination of a a public vote which will contribute 30% of the final score, a professional jury who will award 65% of the points and an on show panel of 3 pundits who’ll give out a further 5%.
- The show will be hosted by Lucy Ayoub and a yet to be announced co-host.
The rules for the song submissions have already been published on 12th January and the deadline for sending in an entry is 11th February. All song writers must be Israeli. A selection committee of 6 members wil shortlist the four songs and this will include representatives from KAN and the Keshet.
2016 was the last time Israel held a selection show, however on that occasion there were 4 contestants with Hovi Star, Ella Daniel, Nofur Salman and Gil Hadash. Hovi and Nofur both had entered with ‘Made Of Stars’ with Hovi’s more ballady version winning the ticket to Eurovision.
What do you think of this change in format? Are you pleased to see a selection show back in Israel? Let us know on our socials.
In the meantime enjoy the 2016 selection show winner – Hovi Star: