Wendi Mancaku is a young Albanian singer. She is known for taking part in many festivals and receiving the prize for “Best New Artist” at “Kenga Magjike.” Last year she took part at Festival i këngës with the song “Ende”.
Hello Wendi, for the second time in a row you are competing at Festival i këngës as one of the youngest participants can you tell us more how does it feel, what changed since last year and what made you decide to take part at the festival again?
Hey guys, thank you for having me! I feel very grateful to be part of this Festival once again and to experience the emotions this stage has to offer. I believe a lot of things have changed this year, like the fact that we are living through a pandemic and how the Festival will be held differently for the first time in it’s history with no orchestra and outdoors. I decided to be part of the festival again this year to challenge myself and my abilities in bringing something different to the Festival.
What was the idea behind “Vesi i shpirti tim” and what does it mean for you?
Well the demo for “Vesi i shpirtit tim” was originally written in English and the first word that came to mind was “cigarette.” When I showed it to the lyricist Rozana Radi, she loved the idea of this “habbit” and compared a person to the cigarette. This person is the habbit of your soul and no matter if they are bad for you, you can’t live without them. I fell in love with this concept and this is how the song came to life.
Can you reveal us how will your performance look?
My performance will be rather simple. I do not want to give off too many details but I want it to be different from last year. I am most excited for the unplugged performance on the second night of the Festival because there will be a surprise but that is all I am going to say.
You almost won the national selection for Junior Eurovision Song Contest back in 2015 with Vanessa Sono when you two sang “Jeto” the winner was Mishela Rapo with “Dambaje” how was that experience for you?
That experience was really exciting. Vanessa and I had sang a duet before on “Gjeniu i vogel” so we decided to participate on JESC together and it went really well with us being placed on the third place.
You already participated at many different festivals and you won many prizes can you share with us your favourite moment or memory?
My favourite moment would probably be when I won “Best New Artist” at “Kenga Magjike.” It was the first time that I was competing not only as a singer, but also as a songwriter and pianist. I remember hearing my name to go on stage and receive the prize and not believing my ears. It was truly magical for me.
The competition of this year’s Festival i këngës is so tough, which act do you see as the biggest competitor/like the most?
I personally don’t see “Festivali i Kenges” as a competition. There are a lot of good songs and singers this year and I’m just happy to be there performing alongside them.
What is your first memory related to Eurovision? Do you watch the show regularly and which song is your favourite?
My first memory of Eurovision is from when I was younger. I remember looking at all the performances and listening to the songs with great joy and excitement. I remember feeling really proud to see my country being represented by amazing artists throughout the years. As for a favourite song, I don’t think I can choose there are so many great ones!
You were already at the Eurovision stage at the contest in 2019 as the backing singer of Jonida, can you tell us how was that experience for you?
Being part of such an event as Eurovision was an honour for me. I was seventeen at the time and performing in that amazing stage alongside Jonida representing our country. I made great memories with our team that I will never forget, and I grew a lot not only musically but also as a person and for that I am thankful.
What do you do when you are not creating music and singing?
When I am not creating or singing you will probably find me producing at my studio, figuring out ways to better my sound and brainstorming ideas.
What are your plans after Festival i këngës?
After “Festivali i Kenges” I will keep working on my music and release my very first Album!
Thank you so much for your time Wendi. We wish you the best of luck at Festivali i këngës. Do you want to share something else or you maybe have a message for followers of escbubble?
Thank you for having me and thank you to all the Eurovision fans and followers of escbubble for being so amazing and supportive!
You can listen to “Vesi i shpirtit tim” below
If Wendi is your favorite, make sure you cast your vote for her and for up to four other acts in our poll right here:
- Rosela Gjylbegu - Vashëzo 16%, 473 votes473 votes 16%473 votes - 16% of all votes
- Anxhela Peristeri - Karma 14%, 397 votes397 votes 14%397 votes - 14% of all votes
- Inis Neziri - Pendesë 12%, 359 votes359 votes 12%359 votes - 12% of all votes
- Era Rusi - Zjarri im 11%, 315 votes315 votes 11%315 votes - 11% of all votes
- Mirud - Nëse vdes 8%, 232 votes232 votes 8%232 votes - 8% of all votes
- Kastro Zizo - Vallja e jetës 8%, 229 votes229 votes 8%229 votes - 8% of all votes
- Orgesa Zaimi - Valixhja e kujtimeve 6%, 172 votes172 votes 6%172 votes - 6% of all votes
- Gigliola Haveriku - E lirë 5%, 160 votes160 votes 5%160 votes - 5% of all votes
- Xhesika Polo - Më mbron 5%, 138 votes138 votes 5%138 votes - 5% of all votes
- Gjergj Kaçinari - Më jep jetë 5%, 133 votes133 votes 5%133 votes - 5% of all votes
- Kamela Islamaj - Kujtimet s'kanë formë 2%, 69 votes69 votes 2%69 votes - 2% of all votes
- Evi Reçi - Tjerr 2%, 63 votes63 votes 2%63 votes - 2% of all votes
- Viktor Tahiraj - Nënë 2%, 53 votes53 votes 2%53 votes - 2% of all votes
- Wendi Mancaku - Vesi i shpirti tim 2%, 49 votes49 votes 2%49 votes - 2% of all votes
- Florent Abrashi - Vajzë 1%, 36 votes36 votes 1%36 votes - 1% of all votes
- Festina Mejzini - Kush je ti dashuri 1%, 22 votes22 votes 1%22 votes - 1% of all votes
- Sardi Strugaj - Kam me t'ba me kajt 1%, 22 votes22 votes 1%22 votes - 1% of all votes
- Devis Xherahu - Peng 0%, 11 votes11 votes11 votes - 0% of all votes
Let us know your impressions of “Vesi i shpirtit tim” by Wendi Mancaku in the comments below and at our social media links!