Melodifestivalen 2021, Sweden’s national selection for the Eurovision Song Contest, starts next month. As we reported earlier this month, Christer Björkman is set to host all six of this year’s shows, but will have different co-hosts each week. Now apart from the 8 already announced co-hosts, SVT has announced that five-time Melodifestivalen entrant Pernilla Wahlgren will also be co-hosting one of the shows.
Pernilla Wahlgren competed in Melodifestivalen five times, but never won. Her best result came in 2003 in a duet with Jan Johansen, when their song “Let Your Spirit Fly” finished in second place. Her last attempt as a soloist was in 2010 with “Jag vill om du vågar”, after which she took part once more in 2013 as a member of the Swedish House Wives with the song “On Top Of The World”. Whilst she never made it to Eurovision, her son Benjamin Ingrosso represented Sweden in the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest in Lisbon, with the song “Dance You Off”.
Pernilla will be joining Christer Björkman and Per Andersson in the fourth semi final. Here’s the full list of Christer Björkman’s co-hosts per show:
- Semi Final 1: Lena Philipsson (represented Sweden in Eurovision 2004 with “It Hurts”)
- Semi Final 2: Oscar Zia & Anis Don Demina (both artists took part in Melodifestivalen multiple times)
- Semi Final 3: Jason Diakité (rapper also known as Tumbuktu, who hosted the music aid radio/television show Musikhjälpen from its start in 2008 until 2012)
- Semi Final 4: Per Andersson (actor and comedian) and Pernilla Wahlgren (singer)
- Andra Chansen: Shirley Clamp (took part in Melodifestivalen multiple times)
- Final: Måns Zelmerlöw (winner of Eurovision 2015 with “Heroes”) & Shima Niavarani (singer and actress).
This year’s edition of Melodifestivalen will start on the 6th of February, and will continue over six weeks until the Final takes place on the 13th of March. All six shows are going to be held in Stockholm.