Our editor Matt caught up with Karetus & Romeu Bairos who will be taking part in the first Semi Final of this year’s Festival da Canção.
Hi guys. Congratulations on being chosen for Festival da Canção! How are you and how has lockdown been for you?
We’re feeling great. I’m getting used to lockdowns… And I really don’t mind being home. I’m spending some time in the Portuguese countryside (Alentejo), chilling, eating good food and drinking delicious wine.
Sounds great! How were you chosen for this year’s Festival da Canção?
Romeu: I was chosen by Karetus after starting to work with them on the song, I wasn’t suppose to be the singer but it all made sense.
What’s the song about?
Karetus: The song is about the worldwide pandemic crisis that we are living and how much we miss the life we had before all this situation started. In Portugal we have this word for when we miss something. (Saudade)
Have you met any other Festival da Canção contestants? Have they given you any advice?
Romeu: Yes. I’m friends with Tatanka, the singer of Black Mamba and Pedro Gonçalves (you can see their songs below) and they have always been so supportive. I don’t see this as a competition at all. Just another chance to spread the word of peace, love and understanding.
How did the songwriting process work?
Romeu: In the beginning, they sent me a beat with samples of fado and after that we had a meeting to determine what was the subject of the song. I had a poem that I never used and tried to sing it with the beat.
It’s quite difficult explaining the process. The song was born so naturally. It’s the first time that I’m collaborating with artists that make dance music, and I feel the result was so unexpected.
After the song was done and all the beats, melodies and words were recorded, we decided to add some real instruments. The guitar that you hear in the song is called “Viola da terra”. It’s a traditional 12 strings guitar and it’s the regional instrument from the islands where I come from (Azores).
Wow! That sounds great! What sort of staging can we expect to see in your performance?
Fireworks, explosions and crying on stage.
Do you have a favourite song that Portugal has sent to Eurovision?
Romeu: Perhaps “A festa da vida” by Carlos Mendes (You can see Carlos’s performance below)
Have you rehearsed your song live yet? How have rehearsals been?
Karetus : We are in a lockdown now. We should be starting rehearsing later this month.
Thanks for talking to us today guys. Good luck in the competition!
Semi Final 1 of this year’s Festival da Canção will take place on 20th February. You can vote in our poll below for your favourite act from Semi Final 1:
- Sara Afonso – Contramão 26%, 418 votes418 votes 26%418 votes - 26% of all votes
- Karetus & Romeu Bairos – Saudade 20%, 326 votes326 votes 20%326 votes - 20% of all votes
- The Black Mamba – Love Is On My Side 13%, 217 votes217 votes 13%217 votes - 13% of all votes
- Nadine – Cheguei Aqui 10%, 164 votes164 votes 10%164 votes - 10% of all votes
- Valéria – Na Mais Profunda Saudade 8%, 137 votes137 votes 8%137 votes - 8% of all votes
- IAN – Mundo 6%, 103 votes103 votes 6%103 votes - 6% of all votes
- Miguel Marôco – Girassol 5%, 81 vote81 vote 5%81 vote - 5% of all votes
- Mema – Claro Como Água 5%, 76 votes76 votes 5%76 votes - 5% of all votes
- Fábia Maia – Dia Lindo 3%, 55 votes55 votes 3%55 votes - 3% of all votes
- Irma – Livros 2%, 36 votes36 votes 2%36 votes - 2% of all votes
Below you can see Karetus and Romeu’s song below: