Second Rehearsals — North Macedonia, Ireland, Cyprus, Norway and Croatia
Good afternoon from Day 5 at the press centre! We’ve now seen all of the first rehearsals for the semi finalists, so each country will return over the next few days for a shorter, second rehearsal. Any technical difficulties or camera glitches will hopefully have been resolved and the final changes made to the staging in preparation for the shows next week.
Today we will see 14 countries take to the Ahoy Arena for their second rehearsals, with today being all of the countries in semi final one except for Malta who will be rehearsing tomorrow first thing.
For ESCBubble coverage, please make sure you are following us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest updates, whilst we also have a Live Rehearsal Blog running all day long where you can get even more updates on every rehearsal.
We will be overviewing all five of the rehearsals in today’s first afternoon session – where we saw North Macedonia, Ireland, Cyprus, Norway and Croatia rehearse.
North Macedonia haven’t changed a great deal for their second rehearsal. The performance still makes good use of the augmented reality and the LED backscreens, with a pulsating golden theme. The song itself is sharpened up with a lot of strong camera angles, as Vasil is moving a little more to work with the cameras. He seems more relaxed and that is shown in the intimacy of his voice at times.
Ireland have really upped their game for second rehearsal, and we are so excited that the intricate staging seems to be coming together after some rough mishaps from the other day. Lesley’s vocal is also notably a lot stronger than we’ve ever seen before, which is really encouraging for a final rehearsal on stage! Still not sure on the final 30 seconds where the camera illusions are exposed as being just boxes, but the rest of the performance is starting to work together which is great.
Elena Tsagrinou is a goddess of a performer. We saw this earlier in the week with her first rehearsal, but just WOW at how much she has been able to improve on what already was a fantastic session on Saturday. The stage is as fiery as her performance and she was really working both the vocals and cameras on stage this afternoon. This could be one to watch – probably the strongest of the uptempo female performers that we have.
Norway had a bit of a problem at their first rehearsal with the vocals – it sounded quite thin at times and didn’t completely work with the mix. These problems seem to have been completely resolved ahead of their second rehearsal as there is now added vocal support throughout the song which is really ensuring it sounds closer to the studio version. No major changes here, as you can imagine. It’s pretty impactful already so not much they could really change anyway.
Croatia is another that didn’t have much to change! It’s taken until this rehearsal for me to realise that actually for the majority of the performance she’s on the catwalk between stages with the backdrop that comes down from the ceiling as low as it goes behind her. This looks incredibly slick and she’s able to give movement to the backing without it feeling too far away. Perhaps it’s a little more static than first assumed but Albina grew in confidence with every single performance, and her vocal just got better and better. If she can keep that up then we are in good stead ahead of her semi final run! Fireworks too!
Who was your favourite of this session of rehearsals? Let us know on our social media! And don’t forget to make sure to vote in the official ESCBubble qualifiers poll too – who do YOU want to see make the final?
- Lithuania - The Roop - Discoteque 15%, 842 votes842 votes 15%842 votes - 15% of all votes
- Cyprus - Elena Tsagrinou - El Diablo 13%, 750 votes750 votes 13%750 votes - 13% of all votes
- Ukraine - Go_A - Shum 12%, 697 votes697 votes 12%697 votes - 12% of all votes
- Malta - Destiny - Je me casse 10%, 595 votes595 votes 10%595 votes - 10% of all votes
- Russia - Manizha - Russian Woman 10%, 548 votes548 votes 10%548 votes - 10% of all votes
- Romania - Roxen - Amnesia 7%, 377 votes377 votes 7%377 votes - 7% of all votes
- Belgium - Hooverphonic - The Wrong Place 6%, 356 votes356 votes 6%356 votes - 6% of all votes
- Croatia - Albina - Tick-Tock 6%, 316 votes316 votes 6%316 votes - 6% of all votes
- Sweden - Tusse - Voices 5%, 261 vote261 vote 5%261 vote - 5% of all votes
- Norway - TIX - Fallen Angel 4%, 220 votes220 votes 4%220 votes - 4% of all votes
- Israel - Eden Alene - Set Me Free 4%, 208 votes208 votes 4%208 votes - 4% of all votes
- Azerbaijan - Efendi - Mata Hari 3%, 185 votes185 votes 3%185 votes - 3% of all votes
- Ireland - Lesley Roy - Maps 2%, 143 votes143 votes 2%143 votes - 2% of all votes
- Slovenia - Ana Soklič - Amen 2%, 98 votes98 votes 2%98 votes - 2% of all votes
- Australia - Montaigne - Technicolour 1%, 78 votes78 votes 1%78 votes - 1% of all votes
- North Macedonia - Vasil - Here I Stand 1%, 49 votes49 votes 1%49 votes - 1% of all votes
- Switzerland - Gjon's Tears - Tout l'Univers 14%, 977 votes977 votes 14%977 votes - 14% of all votes
- Iceland - Daði og Gagnamagnið - 10 Years 13%, 856 votes856 votes 13%856 votes - 13% of all votes
- Greece - Stefania - Last Dance 12%, 816 votes816 votes 12%816 votes - 12% of all votes
- Finland - Blind Channel - Dark Side 11%, 717 votes717 votes 11%717 votes - 11% of all votes
- San Marino - Senhit - Adrenalina 9%, 605 votes605 votes 9%605 votes - 9% of all votes
- Bulgaria - Victoria - Growing Up Is Getting Old 7%, 464 votes464 votes 7%464 votes - 7% of all votes
- Portugal - The Black Mamba - Love Is On My Side 6%, 435 votes435 votes 6%435 votes - 6% of all votes
- Moldova - Natalia Gordienko - Sugar 5%, 325 votes325 votes 5%325 votes - 5% of all votes
- Latvia - Samanta Tina - The Moon Is Rising 4%, 297 votes297 votes 4%297 votes - 4% of all votes
- Denmark - Fyr or Flamme - Øve os på hinanden 4%, 285 votes285 votes 4%285 votes - 4% of all votes
- Serbia - Hurricane - Loco Loco 4%, 282 votes282 votes 4%282 votes - 4% of all votes
- Albania - Anxhela Peristeri - Karma 3%, 218 votes218 votes 3%218 votes - 3% of all votes
- Austria - Vincent Bueno - Amen 2%, 148 votes148 votes 2%148 votes - 2% of all votes
- Czech Republic - Benny Cristo - Omaga 1%, 101 vote101 vote 1%101 vote - 1% of all votes
- Estonia - Uku Suviste - The Lucky One 1%, 87 votes87 votes 1%87 votes - 1% of all votes
- Poland - Rafał - The Ride 1%, 77 votes77 votes 1%77 votes - 1% of all votes
- Georgia - Tornike Kipiani - You 1%, 72 votes72 votes 1%72 votes - 1% of all votes