In the end of May we informed you that submissions for The American Song Contest were open. Now it’s time for more news about the show. The inaugural edition of The American Song Contest will be having it’s premiere on the 21st of February 2022 on NBC.
View this post on Instagram
The show will be having Qualifying Rounds the Semi Finals and Grand Final out of which an original song coming from one of the 50 competing states and 5 territores will be crowned as the winner and maybe even appear in Turin at Eurovision 2022.
NBC is organizing “American Song Contest” in collaboration with Propagate, Universal Television Alternative Studio and the contest is being produced by Audrey Morrissey, Anders Lenhoff, Christer Björkman, Peter Settman, Ola Melzig, and Gregory Lipstone alongside Ben Silverman and Howard T. Owens of Propagate.
The further information which include the host city, ticket sales, hosts and artists are going to be revealed at the official Eurovision website in the future.
A lot of the artists who originate from the US or come from the states already performed at the Eurovision Song Contest some of the names the list so far includes are:
- András Kállay-Saunders – “Running” (Hungary 2014);
- Annet Artani – “Why Angels Cry” (Cyprus 2006);
- Debbie Cameron – ‘Krøller eller ej’ (Denmark 1981);
- Hannah Mancini – “Straight Into Love” (Slovenia 2013);
- Isis Gee – “For Life” (Poland 2008);
- Jeane Manson – “J’ai déjà vu ça dans tes yeux” (Luxembourg 1979);
- Jimmie Wilson, with Valentina Monetta – “Spirit of the Night” (San Marino 2017);
- Johnny Manuel and Trey Campbell (Equinox) – “Bones” (Bulgaria 2018);
- Kalomira – “Secret Combination” (Greece 2008);
- Kim Cooper from The Rounder Girls – “All to You” (Austria 2000);
- Natália Kelly – “Shine” (Austria 2013);
- Oscar Loya and Dita von Teese – “Miss Kiss Kiss Bang” (Germany 2009);
- Rhonda Heath, of Silver Convention – “Telegram” (Germany 1977);
- Romina Power with Al Bano – “We’ll Live It All Again” (Italy 1976) & “Magic Oh Magic” (Italy 1985);
- Tamar Kaprelian (Genealogy) – “Face the Shadow” (Armenia 2015);
- Wess, with Dori Ghezzi – “Era” (Italy 1975);
The most recent one was Flo Rida who performed “Adrenalina” alongside Senhit for San Marino in May, they ended the contest on 22nd place with 50 points and the most popular US artist with which we would conclude the list is the one who performed the UK winning entry of Eurovision 1997, “Love Shine a Light“, Katrina Leskanich, of Katrina and the Waves.
Which artists would you like to see at The American Song Contest and what kind of the songs do you expect to hear from them? Let us know in the comments below and at our social media links!