Frode Vassel is a Norwegian singer, he competed at The Voice Norway last year and ended the contest in the Knockouts round. Frode toured performing with many artists such as Ylvis, Maria Mena and Åge Sten Nilsen in addition to that he has previous Eurovision experience as he has been on the stage of the show with JOWST in Kiev 2017, Alexander Rybak in Lisbon 2018 and KEiiNO in Tel Aviv 2019.
Hello Frode, you performed at many stages and cooperated with many Norwegian artists such as Maria Mena, Åge Sten Nilsen, Ylvis, Alexander Rybak and others. When did you first started singing?
– I started singing at a young age. I sang in the school choir, and in a local youth choir. In my teens I started singing in bands with my friends, and we had a lot of fun doing that. My first TV appearance was when I was only 8 years old.
Which cooperation have you enjoyed the most?
-It’s hard to choose one particular cooperation. I have been blessed to sing with so many talented artists and musicians, and traveled to many beautiful places in Norway and Europe. I loved going to Kiev and Tel Aviv during Eurovision – places that I probably never would have the chance to visit if it wasn’t for Eurovision.
What made you decide to take part at Melodi Grand Prix?
– It has been a life-long dream to participate in MGP. But I have always known that I would not take part just to be there. It had to be with the right song, and I am really proud of the song I am singing this Saturday!
Last year Norwegian audience had a chance to watch you at The Voice Of Norway where you delivered a stunning performance of “Into The Unknown”, how was the whole experience?
-That was really fun, and an amazing way to get audience in Norway and in the rest of the world to get to know me! The video from my blind audition have over 1 million views, and it’s also in many compilation videos with several million views. I have gotten so many kind words from all over the world, and it is really nice to hear that people love it and that it makes a difference in peoples lives.
Can you tell us what was the idea behind “Black Flowers”, given the fact that you are one of the coauthors of it and what does the song mean for you?
-The idea behind Black Flowers is that some people (grown-ups and politicians) make all the decisions on behalf of others. And very often we take decisions that we know aren’t right but we do it anyway because it’s the easiest way or the most comfortable choice. And the ones who are paying for all the wrong that we do, are the kids and the future generations. As a father of the boys, this is a very important message for me!
Can you reveal us more about your performance this Saturday?
-On the stage with me, I will have two drummers, since it is a very drum-driven song. Besides that we will try to put as much energy into it as possible!
Do you watch Eurovision regularly, if so would you like to share a memory which you have of it or a favourite song from the contest?
– As many others my favourite song from ESC is Euphoria! There is something about that song that is just out of this world. For 3 minutes you forget time and space. The song creates a bit of magic!
You already performed at the Eurovision stage together with JOWST in 2017 and with Alexander Rybak in 2018, is there any anecdote or a memory from the contest which you’d like to share?
– I also performed with KEiiNO in 2019. It was great to visit Tel Aviv! As you know, Keiino didn’t score as many points as we hoped from the jury’s. We waited for a very long time in the green room, and when the televotes came in I could not hold myself anymore. The pressure was too much, so when Keiino got most televotes of all the songs I was in the toilet …
As a father of three what’s your favourite activity which you do with your family?
-We are gamers, so we love to play different multi-player games together. And also we love to go hiking in the beautiful nature that’s right outside our door.
What are your plans after Melodi Grand Prix 2022?
-We will have to see how MGP goes first. But I want to release more music and continue singing.
Thank you so much for your time Frode. We wish you the best of luck at Melodi Grand Prix. Do you want to share something else or you maybe have a message for readers of escbubble?
-I want to thank all the ESC fans for taking the time to listen to the songs and writing messages! That really means a lot to me and all the other artists!
You can listen to “Black Flowers” on Spotify or watch the music video below
Don’t forget to vote for your favourite at the first semi-final of Melodi Grand Prix 2022!
- Frode Vassel - Black Flowers 35%, 231 vote231 vote 35%231 vote - 35% of all votes
- Mira Craig - We Still Here 28%, 181 vote181 vote 28%181 vote - 28% of all votes
- TrollfesT - Dance Like A Pink Flamingo 23%, 151 vote151 vote 23%151 vote - 23% of all votes
- Eline Noelia - Ecstasy 14%, 93 votes93 votes 14%93 votes - 14% of all votes
Let us know your impressions of “Black Flowers” by Frode Vassel in the comments below and at our social media links!