After a series of clues at the start of the week, RTCG announced that singer Vladana Vučinić now known mononymously as Vladana, had been selected to represent Montenegro at the 2022 Eurovision Song Contest, due to take place in Turin in May 2022. Whilst the singer had been revealed, there was not much additional information given over the song or for what we can expect Vladana to bring to the Eurovision stage.
This morning the Montenegrin delegation hosted a virtual press conference with performer Vladana and producer Darko Dimitrov there to talk more about their upcoming Eurovision journey together and answer questions from the press. But what did we learn from the press conference?
- Firstly, it has been confirmed that Vladana’s song is titled “Breathe (Unforgivable)”! Vladana confirmed that the song will be performed in English, “I will sing in English so that the message can be heard beyond the Balkans“. Speaking of her song, Vladana explained that she wrote the song in one sitting with the focus being her family and an event that happened to them late last year. When producer Darko Dimitrov, who has penned a number of successful Eurovision hits over the years including Serbia’s 2021 smash “Loco Loco” by trio Hurricane, heard the lyrics he knew that he must take on this challenge and work with Vladana for Eurovision despite originally expecting to take a break from the contest after a busy few years. He felt the energy and emotion from the words Vladana had written and knew that it was the right project to work on.
- It has also been confirmed that the song “Breathe (Unforgivable)” is a ‘powerful ballad‘, however explained that it is a modern, pop ballad. Fans of the song will also be excited to hear that this song and performance will also feature a ‘cinematic piano moment‘. When asked to describe her Eurovision song in just three words, Vladana answered, “emotional, powerful and melancholic“.
- Having participated in Montevizija back in 2005 and 2006, Vladana has taken some time away from music recently over the past decade since her 2010 album release. She ended this break by writing “Breathe (Unforgivable)”, declaring it an important message that she wants to share with audiences. Despite the song submission window being open for a long time, Vladana actually submitted her song only just before the deadline. However having thought about it, she believed that Eurovision was the correct platform to share this message.
- Vladana is something of a fashionista! Having been a trained journalist, Vladana also ran a successful fashion blog. Whilst no longer working for the blog, she is still very passionate about fashion and is excited to bring this to Turin too, only a stones throw away from Milan the home of the fashion industry! Whilst nothing has been confirmed yet, Vladana has promised an extravagant, avant garde dress to pair with how special this song is for her.
- Finally – those anticipating a song release will have a little bit of a wait until we get to hear Vladana’s song. They are about to start shooting the music video for her entry and the plan is to release both the song and the video towards the end of February 2022.
Stay tuned over the coming weeks as we hear more from Vladana about her Eurovision journey and more about her entry.