Cornelia Jakobsdotter Samuelsson is the full name of Swedish singer Cornelia Jakobs who has previously been part of the duo “Stockholm Syndrome” (formerly Love Generation) which competed at Melodifestivalen 2011 and 2012 under the former name. In 2008 she took part at the Swedish Idol. She got her education at Kulturama – at Rytmus music high school in Stockholm. Cornelia is competing at Melodifestivalen 2022 with “Hold Me Closer”.
Hello Cornelia, first of all I would like to congratulate you for being selected for the Melodifestivalen 2022 out of 2500 submissions. How does that feel and what made you decide to take part at the contest?
– Heey and THANK you, it feels amazing! It started with a casual conversation with one of my close friends about a year ago. Then I wrote this song during the summer and I just immediately felt that this is THE song. And now we’re here!
I read that your first performance was at the age of seven at your father’s concert, is it true? Can you tell us more about your musical beginnings?
– Yes, that is true. My dad is a musician and I started to sing on his shows when I was 7, but even before that I felt that music was a safe place for me. For as long as I can remember I’ve had a strong urge to express myself and being on stage always made me feel like you can never be too much.
You were part of the duo “Stockholm Syndrome”, how was that experience to you?
– Oh that was amazing. We had so much fun touring and I’m really happy I got to experience that! It was a great chapter in my music journey.
You performed at many festivals and toured different countries including China how were all those experiences and is there an anecdote or a memory which you’d like to share with us?
– It feels absolutely crazy that I’ve had the honor to tour like that without being a very big artist! So thankful for all those memories with my beloved band.
Can you tell us a bit about “Hold Me Closer” what does the song mean for you?
– A whole lot. To start with it was written when I was in the middle of a break up that broke me like I’ve never been broken before. Naturally that turned into a song and I really feel like it describes perfectly what was going on inside my mind and body during that time. It still hurts to listen to it, even tho I’ve heard it a thousand times.
– Except from that, it was also the start of the best collaboration-team I’ve ever worked with. Me, Isa and David truly is the golden trio.
What can we expect from your performance? Can you give us a hint?
– It’s gonna be quite emotional…
Based on some sessions you played in nature as well as your Instagram feed you seem like someone who really enjoys nature, what is your favourite place in Sweden where you’d love to record a session/ play a concert and which one would you recommend to people as a must visit place?
– Oh yes I really am! I’m glad you’ve noticed! There is a place in Sweden called Dalhalla which is a outdoor theater in the middle of a BEAUTIFUL lake. It’s surrounded by crystal clear blue water and majestic cliffs. It would be a dream performing on that stage!
– I have a fave place in Sweden, but I can’t tell you yet because it’s gonna be revealed in my next music video…. So stay tuned! But for now I would say Skåne in general. My mother is from Skåne and I just love that part of Sweden.
Do you watch Eurovision regularly, if so would you like to share a memory which you have of it or a favourite song from the contest?
– Of COURSE I do! It’s so much fun. My fave is honestly still Lordi with “Hard rock Hallelujah“. They are just unmatched.
If you had a chance to make a duet with any Melodifestivalen/Eurovision participant, who would you choose?
– Måneskin!! No doubt.
What are your plans after Melodifestivalen 2022?
– I have a live-streamed acoustic gig streaming from my living room the 9th of February, don’t miss that! And then it’ll be a summer tour and a lot of new music that I am really excited about!
Thank you so much for your time Cornelia. We wish you the best of luck at Melodifestivalen.