Elsie Bay: "I did not want to quit writing songs and performing! So, here I am!"
Elsie Bay is a singer who rose to fame among the Norwegian audience as a member of the duo Elsa & Emilie, they performed at VG-lista and toured over Norway, you can listen to their song “Ocean“, the duo split after 8 years of performing together and Elsa Søllesvik went to pursue solo career and that’s how Elsie Bay came to life.
Hello Elsie, you rose up to fame among the Norwegian audience as a part of the duo Elsa & Emilie. You two created music, performed at VG lista, you were even nominated for a Spelleman prize. How was the whole experience?
-It was amazing! We were so young, and so new in the game at that time! We really had the time of our lives, learning and experiencing new things every day!
After eight years you decide to go for a solo career, how did it feel?
– It felt like the right thing to do. We both agreed it was time to do something different than “Elsa & Emilie”, and I did not want to quit writing songs and performing! So, here I am!
It’s not your first time competing at MGP at least as the author as you are the one behind “Witch Woods” of Emmy last year as well as “Hammer of Thor” by Oda this year. How is to participate as the author and how as a singer?
– Because of Covid I did not get to participate that much last year, with EMMY. I had to watch everything from home. It was still really, really fun, and that’s why I decided to try my best to write more songs for MGP! Being a songwriter is pretty much the same this year– at least so far. The whole team had to watch Oda perform from home. But as a singer I get to actually take part in the whole journey, from writing the song, to staging, to costume and being there on the day, as well as singing. So, it’s two different experiences for sure, but both are very exciting and fun!
What made you decide to make your Melodi Grand Prix debut as the performer too?
– I wasn’t planning to, but when I was offered to do it, it dawned on me that it might be a great idea! I’m very glad I decided to do it!
Can you tell us a bit about “Death of Us” what does it mean for you?
– It’s really important to me that other people can interpret the song in their own way. I wrote it about a personal experience, but now that the song is released it belongs to the people. I don’t wanna tell anyone how they should feel while listening to this song!
As mentioned you have worked on the creation of “Hammer of Thor” performed by Oda and now you are competing against each other at MGP. How does that feel?
– It feels amazing! I am so proud of Oda and our team! She nailed it and I’m confident she’s going to do well in the grand final as well! I am very grateful to have been given the opportunity to have two songs in MGP this year.
Have you followed Eurovision Song Contest before, if so would you like to share a memory which you have of it or a favourite song from the show?
– Fairytale by Alexander Rybak. It was a big moment for me in 2009 when he won Eurovision. Seeing someone from your own small country winning something like ESC is a big inspiration for a young teenager. And what a catchy song
You also create music for the TV shows (Norwegian series SKAM, and Korean show The Queens House are just part of your work) how was that experience and is there a TV series for which you’d like to create music in future?
– I’m a huge fan of TV-series in general, and a lot of the music I listen to I have found through watching my favorite shows. SKAM used a song we had already written and released, while The Queens House asked to use a demo I had written, and so it was released through the show. It’s always super cool to see your own stuff in movies/TV-series! And I’d love to have more songs featured! Maybe in something like Grey’s Anatomy or Ozark! That would be a dream come true!
If you had a chance to make a duet with any artist, who would you choose?
– Bon Iver or Frank Ocean! (both).
What are your plans after Melodi Grand Prix 2022?
– I will release more music, and hopefully play live! And if I’m lucky, Eurovision will be on my list of things this spring!
Thank you so much for your time Elsie. We wish you the best of luck at Melodi Grand Prix.Do you want to share something else or you maybe have a message for readers of escbubble?
– Thank you all for such a wonderful response to my song! It means so much to me! I hope you have enjoyed MGP so far, and that you’re excited for the grand final! Take care!
You can listen to “Death of Us” below
If Elsie Bay is your favorite to win Melodi Grand Prix 2022 which will take place this Saturday, make sure you cast your vote for her in our poll right here:
- Subwoolfer - Give That Wolf A Banana 36%, 640 votes640 votes 36%640 votes - 36% of all votes
- Elsie Bay - Death Of Us 17%, 303 votes303 votes 17%303 votes - 17% of all votes
- Maria Mohn - Fly 13%, 224 votes224 votes 13%224 votes - 13% of all votes
- Frode Vassel - Black Flowers 9%, 156 votes156 votes 9%156 votes - 9% of all votes
- Oda Gondrosen - Hammer Of Thor 7%, 128 votes128 votes 7%128 votes - 7% of all votes
- NorthKid - Someone 6%, 99 votes99 votes 6%99 votes - 6% of all votes
- Sofie Fjellvang - Made Of Glass 5%, 82 votes82 votes 5%82 votes - 5% of all votes
- Christian Ingebrigtsen - Wonder Of The World 3%, 49 votes49 votes 3%49 votes - 3% of all votes
- Farida - Dangerous 3%, 45 votes45 votes 3%45 votes - 3% of all votes
- Anna-Lusa Kumoji - Queen Bees 2%, 38 votes38 votes 2%38 votes - 2% of all votes
Let us know your impressions of “Death of Us” by Elsie Bay in the comments below and at our social media links @escbubble!