Sofie: “Made of Glass reminds me of how fragile love can be, and that we must fight to keep it”
Sofie Fjellvang is singer who became famous to the Norwegian audience after becoming a finalist of the sixth season of The Voice Norway last year. She always had a dream of making a living from music, and started in a children’s choir at a very young age. When she studied in Leesville, North Carolina in the USA in 2017, she won a singing competition in an agency she was part of. Sophie is preparing an EP on which she is collaborating with Kjetil Mørland.
Hello Sofie, you rose up to fame among the Norwegian audience after you competed at sixth season of The Voice Norway last year. What has changed in your life after The Voice and has the contest in any way help you prepare for MGP?
– The Voice definitely made me grow. I had to step out of my comfort zone and I had to perform in front of hundreds of thousands behind the camera. It made me focused, thankful and honored. I believe The Voice gave me an attitude to chase all of my dreams. MGP has always been a competition I want to participate in and to win Eurovision is my biggest dream!
How did you get introduced to singing and do you remember which song have you performed first?
– I grew up in a family who loves music. Both my mom and dad write songs, sing and my dad plays several instruments. My mom and I have written several musicals together as well.
Can you tell us a bit about “Made Of Glass” given the fact that you are one of the coauthors of it and what does the song mean for you?
– “Made of Glass” tells the story of how a relationship all of a sudden falls into a thousand pieces, even though you thought it would last forever. For me this song reminds me of how fragile love can be, and that we must fight to keep it.
What can we expect from your performance? Can you share with us any details of it?
– Luckily, I have the best man with me in my team! Kjetil Mørland is so talented and he has agreed to be a part of every aspect in my performance. He’s been working on how the stage will look like and how I can tell our story to the audience in the best way.
You worked on your entry with Kjetill Mørland who represented Norway at Eurovision 2015 in a duet with Debrah Scarlett singing “A Monster Like Me” and also worked on “Attention” by Ulrikke and competed as soloist with “En Livredd Mann” at MGP 2019… How was the experience of working with him and has he given you any advice of the show?
– I know! I’m still shocked that I get to work with him! Ever since I first saw him on television in 2015, I have wanted to be where he was that day. Therefore I’m so glad I got the opportunity to learn from the best. He has given me good advice, both MGP relevant, but also for my future career. He tells me to relax, enjoy every second of this fairytale and be true to who I am. This is what I’m gonna do February 5th, when it’s my turn to enter the MGP stage.
You two also collaborate on the creation of your EP, how is that going?
– It’s going great, thank you! Working with Kjetil is the most fun. He has taught me so much and teaches me so much to this day. I’m so thankful for every song we get to write together.
Melodi Grand Prix has long history, 62 years have passed from the first edition, What is your favourite song which competed at the stage of MGP and tell us why did you choose it?
– My first memory with MGP is in 2009, when Alexander Rybak won. But my first wow-moment was actually Kjetil Mørland and Debrah Scarlett with “A Monster Like Me”. This song is just beautiful.
Do you watch Eurovision regularly, if so would you like to share a memory which you have of it or a favourite song from the contest?
– I do! I believe this also will be Kjetil Mørland and Debrah Scarlett with “A Monster Like Me”😂.
If you could choose any musician to make a duet with who would it be?
– I would love to collaborate with Sigrid!!
What are your plans after Melodi Grand Prix 2022?
– I will release my debut EP! I’m super excited!
Thank you so much for your time Sofie. We wish you the best of luck at Melodi Grand Prix. Do you want to share something else or you maybe have a message for readers of escbubble?
– Thank you so much for the interview!!
You can listen to “Made of Glass” on Spotify , or below
Don’t forget to vote for your favourite at the fourth semi-final of Melodi Grand Prix 2022!
- Sofie Fjellvang - Made Of Glass 35%, 458 votes458 votes 35%458 votes - 35% of all votes
- Maria Mohn - Fly 34%, 450 votes450 votes 34%450 votes - 34% of all votes
- Alexandra Joner - Hasta la vista 27%, 362 votes362 votes 27%362 votes - 27% of all votes
- Kim Wigaard - La Melodia 4%, 52 votes52 votes 4%52 votes - 4% of all votes
Let us know your impressions of “Made of Glass” by Sofie Fjellvang in the comments below and at our social media links!