Greece looks to public to help choose next Eurovision star

Greek Eurovision broadcaster ERT is preparing for Eurovision 2023, and it’s looking for the public’s help in choosing its next artist!

ERT will choose 70 members of the public to “actively participate” with ERT’s Eurovision Committee in the final phase of selecting Greece’s song for Eurovision 2023.

Starting on Thursday 8th December at 10:00am EET, a dedicated digital platform will open for 48 hours for interested members of the new “Audience Committee” who wish to take part. More information can be found here. Voting will be held at the premises of the ERT Radio House, so you’ll need to be in Greece to participate.

The 70 lucky selected members will be chosen by lottery to ensure impartiality, and that all ages are included. Specifically, 25 members will be from the 18-24 age group, 20 members from the 25-34 age group, 15 members from the 35-44 age group and finally 10 members from the 45+ age group.

Greece’s Eurovision 2023 song will come from the combination of votes from both committees. The 7-member ERT Eurovision Committee will have 49.4% of the choice, while the 70-member Audience Committee’s vote will count for the other 50.6%.

Greece has selected its Eurovision act internally behind closed doors since 2016, except in 2017 when Demy was internally selected, and her song put to the public to choose.

At Eurovision 2022, Amanda Georgiadi Tenfjord was chosen to represent the Hellenic Republic with “Die Together”, and she achieved an impressive 8th place in the Grand Final in Turin!

What do you think of the new Greek selection format? You can let us know in the comments below or on our social media @escbubble!

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Support ESCBubble!

Like our Facebook page, and follow us on Twitter, to get all the Eurovision news as they happen!