Boris Subotić: ‘Some people love Christmas, I love the Eurovision season’
“Pesma za Evroviziju 23” – Serbia’s national selection for the Eurovision kicks off later this week, and a total of 32 acts are going to be competing to represent Serbia this coming May in Liverpool. Boris Subotić is competing in this festival for the second year in a row, and he will try and win the Liverpool ticket with his song “Nedostupan” (Eng: Unavailable).
Boris Subotić is going to be competing in the first semi final, on the 1st of March, and he will be the 15th (second-to-last) to perform on the night. We chatted with him to find out more about the story behind his entry in this year’s Pesma za Evroviziju, his preparations for the show, his Eurovision favorites, as well as his participation in this year’s Croatian Eurovision selection – Dora. Check out everything he told us in this interview right here:
Hi Boris! First of all, thank you for taking your time out for talking to us. For the very beginning of this interview, can you tell us how was your experience in last year’s PzE, and how did you decide to enter again this year?
First of all, thank you for talking to me, I’m really happy to do this interview with you! Last year was an amazing opportunity for me to present myself to the Serbian public and to the Eurovision fans. But because it was my first time doing such a big project like “Pesma za Evroviziju”, I had some mistakes, and the main reason for this year’s entry was to show people that I can do more than just stand there and sing a nice ballad.
What can you tell us about „Nedostupan”, and the message behind it?
“Nedostupan” is a song that tells a story about what is happening after a big emotional breakup, so actually the message behind it is the story itself.
How would you compare „Nedostupan“ to „Vrati mi“?
They are both ballads, but “Nedostupan” is a more modern, up-to-date European-sound type of song, and it’s a different kind of vibe than last year’s “Vrati mi” is.
What can we expect from your performance in Pesma za Evroviziju?
The only thing I can say about my performance is that it’s different than last year’s, and that I’m really satisfied how everything turned out to be.
You also competed in Dora this year as a composer, as you wrote „Nesreća” for Hana Mašić. How did that collaboration happen, and how was your whole experience in Opatija?
Hana actually heard “Nesreća” and she loved it, and when I heard her version of that song, I was like: OK, she needs to sing this, this is her song. I was there in Opatija with her for “Dora”, and I was really proud to be part of that team, and to be part of that project. I’m really proud of her and of that performance, and I’m really satisfied with how everything turned out.
If you could collaborate with any of the other 31 contestants in the Serbian Final, who would it be and why?
This is a hard one. I would really like to collaborate with Andjela who sings “Loše procene”. I think that she is really talented, really creative, and actually she’s been helping me with my performance this year with the visuals and the choreography. She’s kind of like the mother of this project. And I’m really glad that I did “Pesma za Evroviziju” last year, because I met Ivona, who’s now a really close friend of mine, and I would definitely love to work with her.
Do you normally watch Eurovision, and do you have a favorite Eurovision entry?
Well, some people love Christmas, I love the Eurovision season, so of course, I watch Eurovision every year. And I do have a favorite entry of all times – it’s Australia’s Isaiah with “Don’t Come Easy”. I also love Cesar Sampson’s “Nobody But You”, as well as Željko Joksimović and his “Nije ljubav stvar”.
Why should you be the one to win Pesma za Evroviziju, and represent Serbia in Liverpool?
Well, watch “Pesma za Evroviziju” on the 1st of March, and you’ll see why.
What normally inspires you to do music?
As long as I can remember, I wanted to do music and I wanted to be a singer, so I’m actually living my dream right now, because I’m doing something I love, and I’m so happy to be able to do everything that I’m doing right now.
Do you have any upcoming projects after „Pesma za Evroviziju“, and after hopefully Eurovision?
Of course, I have some projects in my mind, but everything is on hold right now because of my performance at “Pesma za Evroviziju”, so you’ll have to wait and see after everything is done what is going to happen.
Thank you so much for your time! We wish you the very best of luck in PzE!
Thank you very much!
Give a listen to Boris’s entry “Nedostupan” right here:
Let us know who YOUR personal favorites are in this year’s Pesma za Evroviziju by voting in our polls below:
- Luke Black - Samo mi se spava 19%, 393 votes393 votes 19%393 votes - 19% of all votes
- Savo Perovic - Presidente 15%, 311 votes311 votes 15%311 votes - 15% of all votes
- Filip Balos - Novi plan drugi san 14%, 293 votes293 votes 14%293 votes - 14% of all votes
- Princ - Cvet sa istoka 12%, 250 votes250 votes 12%250 votes - 12% of all votes
- Mattia Zanatta and Angela Kassiani - Novi svet 9%, 192 votes192 votes 9%192 votes - 9% of all votes
- Angellina - Lanac 9%, 191 vote191 vote 9%191 vote - 9% of all votes
- Boris Subotic - Nedostupan 6%, 131 vote131 vote 6%131 vote - 6% of all votes
- Tijana Dapcevic - Mamim 4%, 82 votes82 votes 4%82 votes - 4% of all votes
- Chegi and Braca Bluz Bend - Svadba ili kavga 3%, 60 votes60 votes 3%60 votes - 3% of all votes
- Nadja - Moj prvi oziljak na dusi 3%, 58 votes58 votes 3%58 votes - 3% of all votes
- Hercenslus - Vremenska zona 2%, 49 votes49 votes 2%49 votes - 2% of all votes
- Stefan Shy - Od jastuka do jastuka 2%, 48 votes48 votes 2%48 votes - 2% of all votes
- Filip Zmaher - Cujemo se sutra 1%, 23 votes23 votes 1%23 votes - 1% of all votes
- Igor Stanojevic - Iza duge 1%, 20 votes20 votes 1%20 votes - 1% of all votes
- Adem Mehmedovic - Osmeh 1%, 11 votes11 votes 1%11 votes - 1% of all votes
- Empathy Soul Project - Indigo 0%, 7 votes7 votes7 votes - 0% of all votes
- Jelena Vlahovic - Kao grom iz vedra neba 20%, 608 votes608 votes 20%608 votes - 20% of all votes
- Zejna - Rumba 18%, 524 votes524 votes 18%524 votes - 18% of all votes
- Hurricane - Zumi zimi zami 16%, 483 votes483 votes 16%483 votes - 16% of all votes
- Frajle - Neka neka 9%, 276 votes276 votes 9%276 votes - 9% of all votes
- Ivona - U nocima 6%, 178 votes178 votes 6%178 votes - 6% of all votes
- Dzipsii - Greh 5%, 156 votes156 votes 5%156 votes - 5% of all votes
- Egret - Ako shvatim kasno 4%, 126 votes126 votes 4%126 votes - 4% of all votes
- Filarri - Posle mene 4%, 124 votes124 votes 4%124 votes - 4% of all votes
- Milan Bujakovic - Fenomen 3%, 100 votes100 votes 3%100 votes - 3% of all votes
- Gift - Liberta 3%, 95 votes95 votes 3%95 votes - 3% of all votes
- Doris Milosevic - Tisina 3%, 92 votes92 votes 3%92 votes - 3% of all votes
- Eegor - Starac dana 2%, 72 votes72 votes 2%72 votes - 2% of all votes
- Andjela - Lose procene 2%, 63 votes63 votes 2%63 votes - 2% of all votes
- Nadia - Devojka tvog decka 2%, 60 votes60 votes 2%60 votes - 2% of all votes
- Duo Grand - Viva la vida 1%, 29 votes29 votes 1%29 votes - 1% of all votes
- Igor Vins and Bane Lalic - Zato sto volim 0%, 8 votes8 votes8 votes - 0% of all votes