Savo: “As a child I liked to stand in front of the TV, pull cables from a hairdryer or a vacuum cleaner and sing”
Serbian national selection “Pesma za Evroviziju 23” will take place next week with the semi-finals scheduled for 1st and 2nd of March while the final is set to take place on 4th of March. Eight acts will be qualifying from each semi-final and ahead of those we had a chance to talk with Savo Perović who will be competing as 13th act of the first-semi-final on 1st of March. Find out what Savo told us about his musical beginnings, inspiration behind “Presidente” as well as other plans below.
Hello Savo, first of all I would like to congratulate you for being selected for Pesma za Evroviziju 2023. How does that feel and what made you decide to take part at the show?
The wish to take part existed my whole life. Very spontaneous, I first heard the melody of the song and it carrie me to send it for the contest. I also think I’m mature enough for this experience!
How did you get involved with singing? Can you tell us more about your musical beginnings?
Since I know for myself I’ve been singing, as a child I liked to stand in front of the TV or a mirror and pull cables from a hairdryer or vacuum cleaner and sing. After that I pursued musical education and went to musical school, solo singing, later on I competed in Zvezde Granda and then everything started to go on it’s own and I somehow found my place in this job!
You rose to fame after you competed in popular Serbian music show Zvezde Granda. How was that experience for you and how did it influence your further music career and in which way could it help you now?
Zvezde Granda were one beautiful experience for me. I was very brave, creative and they allowed me to be myself while performing on that stage! I learned a lot there and the most useful thing which could help me is that I conquered the stage fright and pressure I had while singing. Also it prepared me for the singing live and with stress. (But it would be a lie if I said that I don’t have stage fright at all now). 😅
Can you tell us a bit about your entry “Presidente” and how did it came to life?
Song came to life spontaneously, first the melody and then the lyrics which were written by Sajsi MC. The lyrics are about capitalism and that our only concern in life are material things and everyone is thinking how to earn money quickly not giving a damn if they will be tricking someone. They totally forgot the existence of love and no one uses it anymore. That’s one direction of the song but there is even another one with sexual aspect but it’s just about how each of the listeners perceives the song.
What can we expect from your performance? Can you give us a hint?
It will be a good performance if I may say so myself with great energy and the scenography will also be great as well as choreography, you’ll see it!
How did the cooperation between Sajsi MC and you start?
It also started spontaneously back in 2016 I contacted her about my song “Derište” (Brat) and we instantly clicked and everything went smoothly.
Backing vocals on the track are performed by Ivana Peters (author of Serbian entry at ESC 2016). How did the cooperation between you two start and has she maybe gave you any advice which could help you win the show?
Another spontaneous cooperation. I just called her, played the song and she was delighted, Ivana agreed on the cooperation and she did a great job. Of course I got excellent advice and lots of support which I continuously receive from her!
One of the members of your team is Kosta who was part of Konstrakta’s choir last year, could he bring you luck? How did you two start cooperating?
Kosta is first of all one mega giga talented guy! I can just say that he nailed the visuals on the led screen! We will see what will happen, anyways I know him for a really long time and I’m so happy that he is part of this project.
One of the frequent comments from the listeners is that they can’t stand your personality but they love your song. You said you took it as a compliment, how did that feel?
I don’t have a problem with that. It’s ok not all people to like me I don’t mind that after all they don’t know me. 🙂 But they will get to love me slowly 😅
Do you watch Eurovision regularly, if so would you like to share a memory which you have of it or a favourite song from the contest?
Yes I follow the show every year, the best contest was the one in Belgrade back in 2008. My favourite song always and forever will be Shake it by Sakis Rouvas, but there are many more which I like.
If you had a chance to make a duet with any Pesma za Evroviziju /Eurovision participant, who would you choose?
From this years contestants of PzE definitely Angellina and from the Eurovision Italian band Måneskin.
What do you do when you are not singing? Any hobbies?
I really like to walk in nature, train, go to saunas and spas as well as pools but it all depends from the mood.
What are your plans after Pesma za Evroviziju 2023?
First to rest a bit, then to work and earn some money and pay my dues hehe and then if I manage to record another song ahead of summer.
Thank you so much for your time Savo. We wish you the best of luck at the Pesma za Evroviziju.
You can listen to “Presidente” by Savo Perović below:
If Savo is one of your favorites at Pesma za Evroviziju 23, make sure to vote for him and your other favorites in our polls below:
- Luke Black - Samo mi se spava 19%, 393 votes393 votes 19%393 votes - 19% of all votes
- Savo Perovic - Presidente 15%, 311 votes311 votes 15%311 votes - 15% of all votes
- Filip Balos - Novi plan drugi san 14%, 293 votes293 votes 14%293 votes - 14% of all votes
- Princ - Cvet sa istoka 12%, 250 votes250 votes 12%250 votes - 12% of all votes
- Mattia Zanatta and Angela Kassiani - Novi svet 9%, 192 votes192 votes 9%192 votes - 9% of all votes
- Angellina - Lanac 9%, 191 vote191 vote 9%191 vote - 9% of all votes
- Boris Subotic - Nedostupan 6%, 131 vote131 vote 6%131 vote - 6% of all votes
- Tijana Dapcevic - Mamim 4%, 82 votes82 votes 4%82 votes - 4% of all votes
- Chegi and Braca Bluz Bend - Svadba ili kavga 3%, 60 votes60 votes 3%60 votes - 3% of all votes
- Nadja - Moj prvi oziljak na dusi 3%, 58 votes58 votes 3%58 votes - 3% of all votes
- Hercenslus - Vremenska zona 2%, 49 votes49 votes 2%49 votes - 2% of all votes
- Stefan Shy - Od jastuka do jastuka 2%, 48 votes48 votes 2%48 votes - 2% of all votes
- Filip Zmaher - Cujemo se sutra 1%, 23 votes23 votes 1%23 votes - 1% of all votes
- Igor Stanojevic - Iza duge 1%, 20 votes20 votes 1%20 votes - 1% of all votes
- Adem Mehmedovic - Osmeh 1%, 11 votes11 votes 1%11 votes - 1% of all votes
- Empathy Soul Project - Indigo 0%, 7 votes7 votes7 votes - 0% of all votes
- Jelena Vlahovic - Kao grom iz vedra neba 20%, 608 votes608 votes 20%608 votes - 20% of all votes
- Zejna - Rumba 18%, 524 votes524 votes 18%524 votes - 18% of all votes
- Hurricane - Zumi zimi zami 16%, 483 votes483 votes 16%483 votes - 16% of all votes
- Frajle - Neka neka 9%, 276 votes276 votes 9%276 votes - 9% of all votes
- Ivona - U nocima 6%, 178 votes178 votes 6%178 votes - 6% of all votes
- Dzipsii - Greh 5%, 156 votes156 votes 5%156 votes - 5% of all votes
- Egret - Ako shvatim kasno 4%, 126 votes126 votes 4%126 votes - 4% of all votes
- Filarri - Posle mene 4%, 124 votes124 votes 4%124 votes - 4% of all votes
- Milan Bujakovic - Fenomen 3%, 100 votes100 votes 3%100 votes - 3% of all votes
- Gift - Liberta 3%, 95 votes95 votes 3%95 votes - 3% of all votes
- Doris Milosevic - Tisina 3%, 92 votes92 votes 3%92 votes - 3% of all votes
- Eegor - Starac dana 2%, 72 votes72 votes 2%72 votes - 2% of all votes
- Andjela - Lose procene 2%, 63 votes63 votes 2%63 votes - 2% of all votes
- Nadia - Devojka tvog decka 2%, 60 votes60 votes 2%60 votes - 2% of all votes
- Duo Grand - Viva la vida 1%, 29 votes29 votes 1%29 votes - 1% of all votes
- Igor Vins and Bane Lalic - Zato sto volim 0%, 8 votes8 votes8 votes - 0% of all votes