We all know that Alexander Rybak won the 2009 Eurovision Song Contest with the song “Fairytale”, which scored a total of 387 points in the Grand Final. Earlier this year, he ran series of auditions in Belarus, to come up with the perfect act for the Belarusian national final, and he found an amazing group of beautiful and talented girls, called Milki.
Singing Rybak’s song called “Accent”, Milki have successfully qualified for the Grand Final of Eurofest. We had a great pleasure to chat with both Milki and Alexander Rybak about Eurofest, and about their song, “Accent”. Check out everything they told us in the interview below:
- Hello Milki! Thank you very much for taking your time out to speak to us! For the start, can you tell us a little bit about yourselves?
We are a brand new girl band consisting of Marina from Minsk, Viktoria from Grodno, Anna, Tatiana and Taisia. Together we will sing a mix of pop songs and folk songs. And at the Eurofest 2014 we will sing about our accent!
- Eurovision winner Alexander Rybak is the composer of your song. How is it to work together with him?
Tatjana: He can be very strict at times, but we can feel his passion for the project.
- Can you tell us a little bit about “Accent”?
Anna: It is a happy song about never forgetting your accent, which can be translated into “never forget your roots”.
- How are you preparing yourselves for Eurofest?
Marina: We live together in Minsk now, and we practice every day. Both choreography and vocals. And we are becoming very good friends!
- Can you tell us how is your stage performance going to be on the night?
Anna: We can’t say for sure, because the cameramen will have to approve some of the staging, but it will be very folk!
- Have you heard the other 14 songs, and do you have a favourite one?
Taisia: I like Napoli, they have a great song!
- Eurovision fans consider your song as one of the big favourites to win Eurofest. How does that make you feel?
Alexander Rybak: Some of our opponents say that I get paid for this. It couldn’t be further away from the truth. I’ve spent a lot of money on the casting and preparations for the group, not to speak of the song! Because I really believe in this group of girls, and this project.
- What would representing Belarus in Eurovision mean to you?
Tatjana: We would get the opportunity to show what’s special about your country.
- Have you got an all time favourite Eurovision song?
Alexander Rybak: Lordi!!! 🙂
- Are you working together with Alexander Rybak on other projects as well right now, or are there any plans for a co-operation for the future?
Viktoria: Yes, what we love about this project, is that we know it’s not only for Eurofest. It will be a fun supplement to the Belarussian artist stage.
- Do you have a message for all the readers of ESCBubble?
Everybody agrees: Please never change your accent!
Marina: Well it’s easy for me, I don’t even speak English.
- Thank you very much for your time, and we wish you all the best at Eurofest!
Alexander Rybak: Thank you for YOUR time.
Check out “Accent”, the song Milki will sing in Eurofest, the Belarusian national final, on the 26th of December: