Our editor Matt spoke to Fábia Maia who will be competing in the first semi final of this year’s Festival da Canção
Hi Fábia. Congratulations on being chosen for this year’s Festival da Canção . How are you? How has lockdown been where you are?
The lockdown for me was the best thing to happen to me because I had the time to look to myself and remember who I want to be. I had time to see the light.
How were you chosen for the contest?
For me it was a blessing from God. I had a dream with the Festival and I saw myself singing a beautiful song. When I received the invitation it was a sign that I am going down the right path. I was invited directly by the RTP Organization through a phone call.
What’s your song about?
My song is a trip to my mood, to my origins and to my light. It’s a song that believes in pure love and forgiveness through our lives. It’s about the things we do right without knowing. We have to close our eyes to love and let it in.
What was the songwriting process like?
I’m a person with an accurate and intuitive eye and mind. I woke up early and I was already singing the melody of the chorus, and I knew that something good was coming to me. I have played the guitar and I wrote the song in 5 minutes. I wrote something with a beautiful light and it seems like someone put the lyrics in my mind, but the truth is that, they were already there.
What sort of staging can we expect to see?
You’ll see genuine staging with no fireworks. I am not the type of girl who really dances. I am the shy one who likes her space in the back of the room. My stage will be what it always has been, real musicians and me with a very good stylist. That’s me. I can’t pretend.
What made you want to take part in Festival da Canção?
A simple thing like the value or the recognition I think I deserve. It can seem arrogant but it isn’t. I think people’s work should have a time in life to shine. This is a road without end and with no impossibilities for me. I am in the first steps.
Do you have a favourite song that Portugal has sent to Eurovision?
Obviously. Amar pelos dois. The most genuine without fireworks, where the real entertainment is the music and soul.
Have you rehearsed your song live yet? How have rehearsals been?
No I haven’t. Now I’m focus on recharging my batteries. I will have a week of rehearsals but now I want to be in a state of pure peace.
Have you met any other Festival da Canção contestants?
No. Actually I’m not close to anyone, but there are some people that I would like to meet. My advice to anyone is “don’t worry if the people understand your thing or not, just be yourself and shine your light”.
Thanks so much for talking to us today Fábia and good luck in the competition!
Fábia will be taking part in Semi Final 1 of the show. You can vote for your favourite in our poll below:
- Sara Afonso – Contramão 26%, 418 votes418 votes 26%418 votes - 26% of all votes
- Karetus & Romeu Bairos – Saudade 20%, 326 votes326 votes 20%326 votes - 20% of all votes
- The Black Mamba – Love Is On My Side 13%, 217 votes217 votes 13%217 votes - 13% of all votes
- Nadine – Cheguei Aqui 10%, 164 votes164 votes 10%164 votes - 10% of all votes
- Valéria – Na Mais Profunda Saudade 8%, 137 votes137 votes 8%137 votes - 8% of all votes
- IAN – Mundo 6%, 103 votes103 votes 6%103 votes - 6% of all votes
- Miguel Marôco – Girassol 5%, 81 vote81 vote 5%81 vote - 5% of all votes
- Mema – Claro Como Água 5%, 76 votes76 votes 5%76 votes - 5% of all votes
- Fábia Maia – Dia Lindo 3%, 55 votes55 votes 3%55 votes - 3% of all votes
- Irma – Livros 2%, 36 votes36 votes 2%36 votes - 2% of all votes
You can see Fábia’s song below: