Farida is a Norwegian/Algerian singer-songwriter who made her breakthrough back in 2016 after releasing the songs “Three Weeks” and “Solo Ride” and her mixtape. Farida was dancing and she got a chance to open up for artists such as Ne-Yo, Method Man and Ryan Leslie. As a singer the same year she released her mixtape “The 25th Hour” she opened up for Dua Lipa. In 2020, she was listed on NRK P3 five times, and the single “Do About It” was highlighted as the best of the week on the same channel. In September 2021, she became a finalist in “The John Lennon Songwriting Contest” in New York with the same song.
Hello Farida, you competed in Idol, how did that experience influence your life and do you think it learned you something which could help you for MGP 2022?
– Hi! It was for a very brief moment. I think every experience helps you, good or bad, but it didn’t affect they way the real experience I had from 2016 towards now has been affecting me. I was in Idol in 2014 and 2016 I got my first little hype. That’s when I felt like everything I did finally made sense.
What made you decide to take part at Melodi Grand Prix?
– It was very easy to say yes, cause I’ve been feeling a shift in MGP and Eurovision over the years, and I felt like I could maybe contribute to something as a songwriter and singer, and the fact that MGP and Eurovision celebrates diversity is a big plus in my book, so I am so happy to be a part of it!
In September 2021 you were the finalist of “The John Lennon Songwriting Contest” with your song “Do About It” how was the whole experience and what’s your favourite memory from it?
– Yes! It was unbelievable because they tried to contact me two weeks before I actually read their email, saying I had to answer soon or I would lose my place as a finalist, and it would go to someone else, so I was really stressed but extremely happy. I got a lot of gifts sent to me from the US as well. So unreal to be credited on me and boyfriend Rasmus Thallaug’s work like that. We were and are still really really proud!
Can you tell us a bit about “Dangerous” given the fact that you are one of the coauthors of it and what does the song mean for you?
– Absolutely! It’s the first time I’ve involved five people in one song, its usually just me and my boyfriend, he is a producer, writer and artist as well, so this is actually very new to me but so extremely fun too. It started with me and Atle Pettersen in July last year, and we were talking about me and my story, about feeling underrated, overlooked etc in different situations so I really wanted to make an honest song but a hidden motivational message as well, since I’m a young woman in a mans world. So we did that, made the demo, included Peter Daniel and Hannah Dorothy on zoom, changed some things, changed them back and then Rasmus, my boyfriend, was in involved and produced it all. So it was a few versions of the song to say the least but I’m happy we kept going and Atle is always a perfectionist so it was so much working with him and the others! GREAT team.
On “Dangerous” among others you cooperated with Atle Pettersen who was a finalist at last year’s MGP has he given you any advice for the show?
– He’s been very clear about one thing, which is: HAVE FUN! Hehe. So that’s what I intend to try to do.
You won the prize “Role Model of the Year” back in 2016, what does the prize mean for you?
– It means the world. But I wasn’t really ready for it. I had only been in the business for like 3 months when I received it so I didn’t know why people thought I deserved it but I was extremely happy and humbled. I took the job of the title very seriously and still do. I love to inspire or help younger people.
Melodi Grand Prix has long history, 62 years have passed from the first edition, What is your favourite song which competed at the stage of MGP and tell us why did you choose it?
– I guess it has to be Alexander Rybak just because that was a very cool moment for the Norwegian people. It was very folk, and just expressed our culture so well, and also went on to win Eurovision so that was definitely a proud moment I remember.
Do you watch Eurovision regularly, if so would you like to share a memory which you have of it or a favourite song from the contest?
– I watch every year! Two of my favourite are Loreen with Euphoria and Salvador Sobral. Both of them were so different but so good.
Which festival performance you delivered and festival you visited are your favourite?
– I think South By Southwest in Texas was my favourite. It was everything! The other musicians, the food carts, the audience just breathing music. It was so wonderful!
What do you do when you’re not singing and creating music? Any hobbies?
– I love to climb, mountain bike, watch movies and series and spend time with my family and boyfriend!
What are your plans after Melodi Grand Prix 2022?
– Release more music and keep the momentum going no matter what happens! I’ve already gotten to know so many incredible people and I wanna stay in touch with them and release more music they can listen to. We’re already a little family, specially on twitter and everyone is welcome!
Thank you so much for your time Farida. We wish you the best of luck at Melodi Grand Prix.Do you want to share something else or you maybe have a message for readers of escbubble?
– Yes! I would love to say a huge thank you to everyone who’s been supporting me this far and writing me. I answer everyone so don’t hesitate to contact me! I hope you’ll like my upcoming show and hopefully we’ll see each other in Turin!
You can listen to “Dangerous” on Spotify or below
Don’t forget to vote for your favourite at the second semi-final of Melodi Grand Prix 2022!
- Steffen Jakobsen - With Me Tonight 35%, 340 votes340 votes 35%340 votes - 35% of all votes
- Farida - Dangerous 27%, 266 votes266 votes 27%266 votes - 27% of all votes
- Lily Löwe - Bad Baby 19%, 186 votes186 votes 19%186 votes - 19% of all votes
- Daniel Lukas - Kvelertak 19%, 182 votes182 votes 19%182 votes - 19% of all votes
Let us know your impressions of “Dangerous” by Farida in the comments below and at our social media links!