The second semi final of the Serbian national selection “Pesma za Evroviziju ’22” is set for tonight. Nine songs have already made the final list night, and tonight another 18 acts are going to compete for the remaining nine places that lead to tomorrow’s final, in which Serbia’s entry for Eurovision 2022 will be selected.
Ahead of tonight’s second semi final, we spoke to Marija Mirković, got to know her better, and find out more about her entry “Požuri, požuri”. Find out everything she told us in this interview below:
Hello Marija, first of all I would like to congratulate you for being selected to take part at Pesma za Evroviziju ’22. How does that feel and what made you decide to take part at the contest?
It’s a wonderful feeling. I grew up watching Eurovision, and I am very excited. I didn’t send a song that I was creating especially for this festival, but I sent a song that is my first single as a solo artist, since leaving the group The Frajle. The main reason of my participation is that for the first time ever, the rules of the Serbian national selection allowed the songs to be released prior to the national selection.
You rose to fame among Balkan audience as member of band The Frajle, whose member you were for 12 years, before you decided to go for a solo career. What’s the best memory or thing which you learned from being member of The Frajle which will help you in your further career?
It’s a huge career that started in clubs, and reached huge sold-out arenas. This path that I crossed is very precious and of course, it gives me a lot of self-confidence on stage, which is very important, especially in a competition like this one.
Even though this is your debut as an artist at selections for Eurovision, you already participated as a songwriter at Croatia’s Dora 2021, when you wrote “Zaljubljen” for Cambi. How did that co-operation come along?
Yes, in last year’s Dora I realized for the first time that every part of both the song and the performance needs to be perfect in order to win. Cambi finished in an amazing 4th place, and it was super close and exciting up until the very last votes, and that was really interesting. Unfortunately they did not win, however the song became a big regional hit.
From your Instagram posts it seems to me that you are a close friend with this year’s winner of Dora, Mia Dimšić, how did the friendship started?
It started back when I was a member of The Frajle, and then it just continued. We love to play music together and hang out. When I heard her song for Dora a few months back, I was sure that she was going to win it. I believe that her song has all the elements of a good Eurovision song, and that she will reach a high position in Turin.
Can you tell us a bit more about “Požuri, požuri”, how did it came to life, what does it mean for you and what’s the message behind the song?
I wrote the song in a very difficult period in my life, shortly after I lost my father. Alka Vuica sent me the lyrics which were slightly different to the final version, and I just sat down and played the piano to the lyrics. The song was created in full shortly after, and then I was thinking for a long time which artist could sing it. At the end, I decided to sing it myself, and have it as my very first single as a solo artist, which was something I haven’t been planning before at all. Thus “Požuri, požuri“ is quite symbolic and important for me, which is why there is so much emotion coming out of me whenever I perform it.
Alka Vuica competed at the inaugural edition of Dora back in 1993 and has huge experience with performing at many festivals. Has she given you any advice for Pesma za Evroviziju 22?
She is coming to Belgrade and she will be part of my team, as the lyricist of the song. Just having her here already means a lot to me. Actually, after the very first rehearsal I had I realized how important is it to have a great stage presence. You only have three minutes to show why your song needs to win, and that’s not an easy task to do.
What can we expect from your performance at Pesma za Evroviziju ’22, can you give us a hint?
I will be alone on stage, but there will be some interesting projections and effects. I believe that we will succeed in creating an amazing performance for all viewers, both visually and musically. I am absolutely sure that I will enjoy it.
Do you watch Eurovision regularly, if so would you like to share a memory which you have of it or a favourite song from the contest?
There are many favorite songs, from different periods of my life. Let’s say my two biggest favorites are “My Number One” by Helena Paparizou and “Euphoria” by Loreen.
If you had a chance to make a duet with any Pesma za Evroviziju/Eurovision participant, who would you choose?
Sara Jo, I find her the most interesting competitor.
What are your plans after Pesma za Evroviziju ’22?
Shortly after the contest I will be releasing a new single titled “Moja duša” (Eng: My soul). The video clip for the song was shot in Istanbul, and I can’t wait to show it to the world. I believe that people are going to love it.
Thank you so much for your time Marija. We wish you the best of luck at Pesma za Evroviziju ’22.
Give a listen to Marija’s “Požuri, požuri” right here:
If Marija Mirković is one of your favorites in the Serbian national final, make sure to vote for her and for your other favorites in our poll right here:
- Zorja - Zorja 16%, 266 votes266 votes 16%266 votes - 16% of all votes
- Konstrakta - Corpore sano 13%, 222 votes222 votes 13%222 votes - 13% of all votes
- Sara Jo - Muškarčina 13%, 209 votes209 votes 13%209 votes - 13% of all votes
- Aca Lukas - Oskar 10%, 166 votes166 votes 10%166 votes - 10% of all votes
- Angellina - Origami 8%, 130 votes130 votes 8%130 votes - 8% of all votes
- Gramophonedzie - Počinjem da ludim 7%, 114 votes114 votes 7%114 votes - 7% of all votes
- Ana Stanić - Ljubav bez dodira 6%, 102 votes102 votes 6%102 votes - 6% of all votes
- Zoe Kida - Bejbi 5%, 85 votes85 votes 5%85 votes - 5% of all votes
- Tijana Dapčević - Ljubi, ljubi doveka 5%, 84 votes84 votes 5%84 votes - 5% of all votes
- Naiva - Skidam 5%, 77 votes77 votes 5%77 votes - 5% of all votes
- Marija Mikić - Ljubav me inspiriše 4%, 60 votes60 votes 4%60 votes - 4% of all votes
- Gift - Haos 2%, 33 votes33 votes 2%33 votes - 2% of all votes
- Chegi and Braća Bluz Bend - Devojko sa plamenom u očima 2%, 31 vote31 vote 2%31 vote - 2% of all votes
- Lift - Drama 2%, 29 votes29 votes 2%29 votes - 2% of all votes
- Ivona Pantelić - Znam 1%, 14 votes14 votes 1%14 votes - 1% of all votes
- Orkestar Aleksandra Sofronijevića - Anđele moj 1%, 11 votes11 votes 1%11 votes - 1% of all votes
- Zejna Murkić - Nema te 1%, 11 votes11 votes 1%11 votes - 1% of all votes
- Biber - Dve godine i šes' dana 0%, 6 votes6 votes6 votes - 0% of all votes